New OB in Sacramento Ca

dustin2471

Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2014
Roseville / CA
Hello All,

Been reading and reading here for a long time, in the process of getting bids on everything up to gunite. The plan is to get the gunite completed before rain starts here in N. California??? we will see if we make it? I am having trouble posting pictures/documents of anything under the size limit? Couple questions on pool build and this might seem dumb to allot of you but... Bond Beam, can someone explain to me the difference between a raised bond beam and a regular bond beam? If this is covered somewhere else please point me in that direction? I OB my house and I am pretty sure I can do a pool but I may have some questions that some might consider dumb, sorry. I will continue working on getting the picture uploaded...

Thank You,
Dustin

Something I am also not sure on; Bond Beam, can someone explain to me the difference between a raised bond beam and a regular bond beam? If this is covered somewhere else please point me in that direction?

Bond Beam Or BB:

A swimming pool bond beam is the top portion of the gunite, shotcrete, or concrete in which the pool coping sits and waterline tile is placed. The pools bond beams, when installed properly, ties horizontal steel with the vertical steel which runs down the walls to the floor.
23m6kyc.jpg

Raised Bond Beam or RBB:
In many pool designs, a taller version of a bond beam is included. Certain sections of the beam are raised, forming walls that extend above the pool’s water surface. Typically, they rise six inches to three feet, although they can go much higher on some projects. The raised area can be used as a planter, spa, fire pit, or sitting area.
e84m7o.jpg

More here-->http://www.farleypooldesigns.com/pool-what-is-it.html

Last edited:
Got permits today, another $530 for the privilege of building in Placer County!

spoke with contractor and they are scheduled to start grading and digging on Saturday

On to the next question: How many skimmers would most recommend 1 or 2? And how many returns? (currently set for 1 with 6 returns, 3 upper, 3 lower)

the goal is to get gunite before the rainy season, but I still want to do the best I can...

Thank You.

I will also try to take pictures and post as I can. I have to go home today and dig up my sprinkler system as the equipment pad is going where my sprinkler manifold currently is, every place I wanted to put the equipment pad Placer said no, so it changed a few times to backside of garage.

Got permits today, another $530 for the privilege of building in Placer County!

spoke with contractor and they are scheduled to start grading and digging on Saturday

On to the next question: How many skimmers would most recommend 1 or 2? And how many returns? (currently set for 1 with 6 returns, 3 upper, 3 lower)

the goal is to get gunite before the rainy season, but I still want to do the best I can...

Thank You.

I'm in Plumas Lake, so my planning dept is Marysville, my permit fees were just shy of $860 for a 600sf pool, so I'm envious of your low cost permits :)

can't say that I feel better now... I think I am a little over $40k in permits and fees regarding our house and all the various permits. A quote from an ex-president comes to mind.

"I feel your pain"

$860 seems steep to me!

Back to the pool;
Cleaned and cleared the area where the bobcat/excavator needs to get thru last night, they start digging saturday :D
Talked with various recommended gunite people today, curious as to what they come back with.
Need to take some pictures of my dead grass backyard before they start!

Layout started first thing this morning!
IMG_7730.jpg

Then Excavation:
IMG_7734.jpg
IMG_7737.jpg

This is what it looked like at the end of the day:D

gunite bid came back high as he forgot to remove the spa and added that into the bid, he will get back to me with a revised bid.

Monday they finish excavation and start plumbing, electrical, and gas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank You Kim!

I think I was a little ambitious? They finished digging for the most part today, started trenching for gas and will probably get to going on plumbing & electrical and rebar tomorrow and Wednesday? More dirt pictures! exciting (sarc)! Good news regarding gunite, bid came back a bit lower so I need to set that up for sometime next week, not going to push my builder whenever he says go thats when its a go. On the weather front its supposed to be record setting heat tomorrow 89 or higher when its usually mid to low 70's, am supplying gatorade for the guys as they are doing a great job and being a little nice goes a long way! :D

PS... no rain in the forecast for a long time :kim:

IMG_7738.jpg
grotto/cave cutout deep end, cant get a good picture here as the sun was directly at the camera
IMG_7740.jpg
different angle
IMG_7741.jpg
shallow end with cabo shelf that you cant see :(

Took the measurements, inspected numerous times and we are happy with what has gone on so far. Have made a few additions to electrical and plumbing but all is going to the plans. Rebar started today and my guy has told us we can call for the pre-gunite inspection for Monday :kim: I am thinking of waiting an extra day as to give a little cushion. Pictures from today:)

IMG_7742.jpg

IMG_7745.jpg

IMG_7746.jpg

It is really starting to take shape! Glad you are happy with how things are now. Good thinking on padding the time line. You just never know! Of course since you did they WILL be done in time for Monday :roll: but better safe than sorry!

Kim:kim:

Hi...Sac CA here looking very seriously at an owner builder pool. You can PM me, but I would love to hear about your subs to date. Who did your design and dig? I have somewhat narrow access so I need to consider that. Also, some PBs I have gotten bids from (prob the same as you did initially) said I would only save 3-5k on doing an OB, but I am hoping its much better than that. Thanks. I think I know the steel and gunite people and have heard Adams is a good finishing co.

todays progress report: More rebar was done. They started the plumbing, and digging the trench from the gas meter, and electric panel to the equipment pad, water pipe is already there. Looks like a little more trenching tomorrow, and lots of rebar to go. Grotto and rock wall still need rebar but I know that comes after everything else. So far so good! :) Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them :D

IMG_7747.jpg

IMG_7748.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7750.jpg

Digging, digging, digging! That is a lot of dirt moving for sure! Glad it is not me doing that work!

Nice progress on the steel! Now make sure they put those dobies to keep the steel off of the walls and bottom. This makes sure the gunite can get all around the steel. A couple of the wall places look like the steel is tight to the wall. But as with all "art" wait until they say they are done before you say anything.

Hi Kim,

Thank you for the dobie help and advice, there are a couple places that are tight and I am concerned about, but I have to give them the chance to fix it or... be corrected, sometimes the waiting is the hardest part. Rebar guy has been kinda funny, I have cameras all over the house and I sure hope he is getting paid by the job? Couple days ago he spent more time texting and on his phone than he did working (but the boss was away). Today he is hard at it though (boss is around) go figure??? Back to the dobies, I am not sue if they would pass inspection without the dobies? I am really looking forward to rebar forming the grotto, both the wife and I are nervous / anxious about how that turns out?

Just checked the 10 day weather and possible showers next friday:( hopefully it wont be bad!

Every place is SO different about their inspections. Some no one shows up :shock: they just sign off without ever seeing the work! Some they walk around and pick it apart.

The dobies are very important so you want to make sure they are in place in the end.

Smart phones + work= NO work gurrrrrrr

LOL on him working while the boss is there hummmmmm guess he does want to be paid!

I can't wait to see the grotto! That would be my fav feature of all if I ever got an in ground pool! I hope you will have a small light in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.