Closing - how important is dropping tree water level?

May 7, 2017
Northern NJ
So hubby and I are in a major disagreement over the water level of the pool. I believe we should drop it 6 inches below the skimmer as I've seen everywhere but he thinks because we have the skimmer plate and return cover we can leave it at normal level. His friend who does pool maintenance said that's the way he does it and unless I can show him otherwise in the pool manual that's the way he's doing it. The thing is our pool manual does not include closing instructions. I did find a warranty sheet that says not to use skimmer plates which I assume is the plate he's putting on before closing the pool. I told him it's just an extra insurance but he doesn't want to deal with it so how bad are we going to mess things up if we don't reduce the water level?

- - - Updated - - -

Also adding that we get hard freezes and generally a good amount of snow here

I am going to do what I have done the last two winters.
Drain 6 inches below skimmer, apply cover
This year I am going to put some pool noodle pieces in the skimmer, this way if I do get water that freezes to ice in my skimmer the noodles should take the force.

I bet your friend is using duck plugs and a gizmo, you blow everything free and put a cover in the skimmer. Suction the water out and your done.

i get very hard freezes and I do it the traditional way. 1" below the returns. I dont trust duck plugs.

The previous owner of my pool and I (last winter) have used an Aquador to cover the skimmer, (its like a Rubbermaid lid) so I don’t drain. With flexible pipes, all the plumbing is removed.

(Although I am well out of any warranty on my pool)

I have used an aqua door (skimmer) and 1.5" thread in plug (Return) to close mine since I installed my pool. Never had a problem. I do disconnect the heater, filter (drain it) and the pump so any water that may leak won't go into them.
Dan

You don't' need to drain the water. I have an IG and was skeptical but the pool company assured me it's fine. They were right. They plug the skimmers and returns after blowing the water out (you'd simply drain them) and in the skimmer they put in 1 liter bottles with some rocks in them to weigh them down to absorb pressure when ice forms (same concept as gizmo). What I like about it is I don't need to add water when it's time to open.

Not draining water is an issue with overflow. Where does it go? Behind the coping and under and steps, eroding any gravel there. You won't need to add water, the snow and rain over winter will have the water at mid skimmer come spring.

there is only one reason Pool company's aren't draining below returns is simple, it saves time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.