Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to manage high calcium levels

1. Back To Top    #1

How to manage high calcium levels

I've got naturally harder water to start with -- tested this morning at 220 for CH.

I'd have to drain 20-50% of my pool just to bring my CH into a better situation, and even then, the floor would be 220. I assume it continues to creep up due to evaporation.

Any tips on how to make the best of this situation?

My current numbers are:

FC = 4ppm
    CC = 0.5ppm
    CH = 480
    CYA = 60
    pH = 7.8 (added some acid after this reading)
    temp = 83 degrees

Thanks!

- Jeff
    15,000 gal SWG pool, cartridge filter, all pentair equipment, variable speed pump, 400K BTU heater and spa, pebbletec finished

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to manage high calcium levels

well you should start by keeping your fc level above minimum per the chart here: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    I'm assuming you don't have an swg, but your stats aren't in your sig as noted here: pool-school/read_before_you_post
    your ch isn't too bad right now. just keep your ph in check. test daily and keep it around 7.4 I would say.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

TA result?

As long as you keep the PH below 7.6 the high CH shouldn't be a problem. I would still recommend you periodically replace 25% of the water to keep it in check, 220 would still dilute your current level some.

Do you have an SWG, your FC is kinda low for your CYA level.

Can you add your pool specs to your sig? Go to User Control Panel, then profile, then Edit Signature.

Reebok!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    TA result?
    Sorry -- TA = 100

Can you add your pool specs to your sig? Go to User Control Panel, then profile, then Edit Signature.
    Done. Thanks!
    15,000 gal SWG pool, cartridge filter, all pentair equipment, variable speed pump, 400K BTU heater and spa, pebbletec finished

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as you keep the PH below 7.6 the high CH shouldn't be a problem. I would still recommend you periodically replace 25% of the water to keep it in check, 220 would still dilute your current level some.
    Yeah. We are in SoCal in the middle of a drought, so that is going to have to wait until the winter and count on some rain

Do you have an SWG, your FC is kinda low for your CYA level.
    I do have a SWG, so I should be right in there. Water looks fantastic.

6. Back To Top    #6

Excellent
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

jeffbg,

I have pretty much the same problem. We have fairly high fill water CH and with the evaporation, the pool CH climbs to over 600 ppm by the end of the season. I refill during Feb-Mar because that happens to be when our city moves from well water to surface water. I can use much less water that way.

As was mentioned, keeping the PH in check is the most important thing with TA being next. This should keep scale off the pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

It is possible to manage CH levels as high as about 1,200 if you have to. They key, as everyone has already mentioned, is to make sure the PH never gets too high and to keep TA levels fairly low. The higher the CH level, the lower you want PH and TA to be.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School