Is CH my problem?

dash

May 14, 2017
Tempe, Arizona
Practically all summer long, my pool has been cool. I'll take the simple test kit out every other day and check the chlorine and pH levels, and I'll simply just add an amount of liquid chlorine or muriatic acid. I keep leave out of the pool and brush it a couple times a week. Everything had been going great... until a week ago.

I noticed the water wasn't clear, but a little green- I shocked that pool with chlorine, and several days later after shocking and shocking... it's still green.

Here are my numbers from this morning, before I added chlorine:

FC) 4

CC) 1

CH) 450

TA) 50

CYA) 35, closer to 30

pH) 7.5

I honestly can't tell what's wrong. I did a back wash on Sunday, and I'm planning to do another maybe this afternoon or tomorrow. The only number that seems too high is the calcium, but do I just need WAAAY more chlorine???

Help, and thanks.

View attachment 69294

You need to SLAM Process. Lower your pH to 7.2, use a CYA of 40 (anything over 30 is 40) which makes your shock FC 16. Test and dose every hour until the FC begins to hold.

Take care.

Thanks everyone for the SLAM advice.
I think I'll bring the chlorine levels way up and keep them high until the algae clears out. I will update you hopefully in a couple days of my clear pool (fingers crossed).
Follow the Chlorine/CYA chart for your SLAM FC level.

[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You will need a FAS DPD chlorine test to properly SLAM Process the pool. Which test kit are you using?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.