Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG question while shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG question while shocking

I hope this does not sound silly, but here goes...

When it comes time for me to shock, would I turn the SWG off while I am using bleach to get to the right shock level?

Thanks for the input!!
    63,000 litre IG Vinyl Pool. 16 x 32 Gemini. Zeobrite filled sand filter. Zodiac Duo Clear 130 Salt System, Hayward Pool Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG question while shocking

You can use your SWG to help maintain shock level, but it is not useful to 'get' to shock level.

Use bleach or liquid chlorine to reach shock level.

Follow the directions in Pool School for How to Shock Your Pool. The last paragraph explains using your SWG to help maintain.

Post back if you have more questions.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not sure what you mean by "when it comes time for me to shock", but I wanted to point out that as long as you can follow the chlorine cya chart, which is easy with an swg, you shouldn't really ever have to shock. This is assuming good filtration, circulation and brushing.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Reebok: I do not have to shock nor have I had to shock yet. I was just asking this question so that I could be knowledgeable if and when that time comes. We have only had this pool for two and a half months so I am just trying to educate myself for all circumstances.

Currently my CYA is at 70 and FC is at 3, which is right in line at the moment.

Thanks too both of you for replying!!
    63,000 litre IG Vinyl Pool. 16 x 32 Gemini. Zeobrite filled sand filter. Zodiac Duo Clear 130 Salt System, Hayward Pool Heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

The few times I've had a problem, I boost my SWG output while adding bleach at the same time. In my case, the cool weather cut my high speed run time down (I have it set up so my multi-speed pump runs slow unless the solar is running) which reduced the amount of chlorine in the pool.

The bleach gives me an immediate CL boost to fight the cloudiness and bumping up my SWG increases the run time which increases the time that the "shock" level in the SWG cell is working. So far, it has worked for me.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

gotcha, just be careful since you're at the exact minimum fc level.
    tphaggerty: the only problem I see with this is shortened cell life. if you use bleach/chlorine only to shock (without increasing your swg %) you will have an increased cell life. of course the increased life may be measured in only minutes, just depends on how often you do that.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree that it may shorten cell life. But running it at a higher percentage for a day or so isn't that much of a concern to me. I prefer a belt & suspenders approach to clearing any cloudiness - and it seems to work..
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.