Huge leaf stain after Hurricane Irma

Apr 27, 2017
Miami FL
Got back home after leaving for a week because of hurricane Irma. Although water was blue, it was full of leafs. There was a huge pile of them by the deep end drain cover.
After removing all the leafs there is a huge stain under where that big pile was.
Last night I added a jug (2.5 Gal 10%) liquid chlorine for the moment as I prepare for SLAM. I can see the stain getting better, but it is still bad.
Tomorrow I will run all the tests and start SLAM. I'll follow up with results.
Besides SLAM, what else I need to do to remove the stain?
Thank you!

These are my test results:

4541108fd9a76814be9a5c19435e66e6.png

1) CYA guesstimated at 25. At the 30mark the dot was slightly visible. It is OK to add some pucks and slowly up it up to 30-40? How many pucks (13k gallon pool)

2) CC is low (almost non existent). Should I perform SLAM?

3) See stain on pictures.

8b7d6107089ba2a1a1ed08d555df567a.jpg

c8e6a4c4b1a5779573cc69c9cdd82809.jpg

Thnx for the help!

Using pucks to raise CYA and FC is fine. Use PoolMath to calculate it. At the bottom of PoolMath is Effects of Adding Chems that will tell you how much CYA and FC each puck will add. A SLAM isnt needed for CCs but higher FC level will help to remove the stains faster. More here, Pool School - Pool Stains

had the same leaf staining, it's slowly fading hoping a FC of 5, CC 0.5, CYA 70 will work. I'm still losing 1.5-2.0 overnight but don't want to SLAM it if I don't have to. Good luck.
How do you chlorinate? If you do not have a SWG, then a FC of 5 is too low for a CYA of 70ppm.

Hint ... this is why we ask everyone to fill out signatures :poke:
Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

9000 gal, Florida Gem finish, Jandy (2 hp one speed pump, 340CV Cart. filter, SWG), AuquCal Heatwave heater/ chiller, water fall spa, coral stone decking.

Copied from my signature area of my profile

- - - Updated - - -

Let's try on the full site.

- - - Updated - - -

That's it, somehow the mobile version isn't displaying my signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.