Pool bid. Please pick it apart TFP!!

Grjones1020

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
La porte, Tx.
Hi TFP!
So I started on my journey to be a pool owner looking at fiberglass pools, and since I have decided to go with gunite instead, due to a weird shaped backyard among a few other reasons. I just got 2 of bids and 1 sounds great, and 1 is really expensive. Both builders are recommended on this board and I have friends that have used both of these builders as well. This forum has helped me so much. Here is what I've got so far from the builder that I think I am going to choose:

[FONT=&quot]Pool Dimensions and Information:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18’x36’ (dig lines) Gunite shell freeform shape[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3’6”x5’6”x4’6” in depth water is 3” lower[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8’x8’Tanning ledge[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 foot bench along pool wall by fire pit[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16’ raised back wall 18” with 2 Pentair LED lighted sheers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 fire bowls on the ends of the raised beam[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]36” fire pit[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 Pentair LED lighted deck jets to spray water from deck to pool[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]800 sq. feet concrete decking with spray deck[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Drains as needed in decking[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Additional decking is $9.50 per sq ft.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Choice of waterline tile with $5.50 budget[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Travertine coping[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Quartzscape plaster (choice of basic colors)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Electrical information:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2-LED 5g pool lights[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2-LED 5g bubbler lights[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manual controls[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Pool Equipment:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2-2hp Pentair superflo pump[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-Pentair 420 cartridge filter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1- Pentair suction pool cleaner[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-3” Rainbow 320 automatic chlorinator [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-Pool pole,brush,vac[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Pool Specifications:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Steel Rebar #3 and #4 rebar to shape pool[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 inch beams for pool[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8” to 10” Gunite floor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All plumbing is 1 ½” and 2” schedule 40 pipe[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All plumbing is pressure tested[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Approx. 3/8” of white plaster[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pool will have 2 skimmers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 pool returns[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 main drains with valve[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Auto water filler and Pool overflow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Pool Plan:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Contract agreement[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pool Lay out[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dig[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plumbing stub out[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gunite[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Equipment and plumbing installed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Coping and tile[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Deck lay out and concrete pour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plaster[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Area clean up[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kool deck applied[/FONT]

Overall looks good. Others will comment on aesthetics -- I will ask 'How do you plan to Chlorinate?'

With what you show you will be using liquid chlorine with daily additions. Have you considered a SWCG?

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Also -- consider dropping the suction pool cleaner and get a robot.

Also consider a VS pump for your primary.

You'll probably need more than 800 sq feet of deck but it is a good start. See my sig line I am at around 875 sq feet of decking. $9.50 seems like a lot for concrete but it all depends on where you are. Mine was $7.50 for stone-marked concrete which I highly recommend. It was $1 more per sq foot and well worth it. See pics in sig line again for example of it.

I would look into pool automation. It is nice to be able to turn on and off your water features with the press of a button.

No heater? I know you are in TX but still could be a time you want it.

gr,

I think it should be illegal to install single speed pumps on a new pool... :p

To run just one of your 2 HP pumps 8 hours a day will cost you about $80 bucks a month. While you can run a variable speed pump 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month..

See this... https://www.inyopools.com/Blog/how-much-does-my-pool-pump-cost-to-run/

I too vote to ditch the suction side cleaner, which means your pump has to be running... and go robot. Technology wise, a suction side cleaner is like an old Black Rotary-dial phone, while a robot is more like today's cell phone...

Good job not falling for any of the pool builder "magic", like UV, Ozone or Mineral sanitation systems...

Good luck with your pool build.

Jim R.

Thanks. I had already asked about the vs pump. Pb seems to think you never recoup the 800$ upgrade in Texas but I am pretty sure it's worth it. The jury is still out on swcg, pb's hate them, pool owners love them? What to do? He had included a rainbow chlorination in his bid. As far as decking goes, 800 is about max due to easement on the backside, and heaters are pretty high dollar for the very few instances I would use one. I can't see spending the dough there? Please keep the suggestions rolling in, I really appreciate it!

Thanks. I had already asked about the vs pump. Pb seems to think you never recoup the 800$ upgrade in Texas but I am pretty sure it's worth it. The jury is still out on swcg, pb's hate them, pool owners love them? What to do? He had included a rainbow chlorination in his bid. As far as decking goes, 800 is about max due to easement on the backside, and heaters are pretty high dollar for the very few instances I would use one. I can't see spending the dough there? Please keep the suggestions rolling in, I really appreciate it!

FYI: My utility offers a $400 rebate on VS pumps. Check with yours!

I see you have 3'6" depth on the shallow end, and then a note that says less 3" less for water - I would make 3'6" the true water depth. I have a similar depth pool - but it is 3'6" and it feels pretty shallow.

Also look at a channel drain instead of 2 round drains. It helps with footing, and robots won't get hung up on them if the drain covers are too tall (mine are).

VS pump is really nice to have. I use the automation more than I thought I would. SWCG is amazing, I wouldn't do a pool without it.

I'm really starting to think about switching to saltwater against all the terror that the pb tells me will inevitably happen.... everyone that has them likes them. I may have to make some cuts elsewhere to squeeze them into the budget...I also feel like the vs pump on the primary just makes sense. I realize that it will run harder in the summer months but a portion of the year it will surely run on low speed right? I wish someone had a trend of how often it runs in low speed in Texas? Anyone seen something like that? Automation seems really handy but it just pushes the budget too hard and I don't mind making a few simple lineups....

- - - Updated - - -

The rebate is an awesome idea! I will check on it. I just switched electric providers

What about the number of returns? This builder quoted 6 returns and the other builder quoted 10 returns. Why the big difference?

That is a lot of returns for a pool your size. Mine is larger and was only intially spec'd with 2 returns. We also have 2 water features which are also returns and 3 deep heat floor returns which are plumbed into a single pipe so really just one return. In addition we have the vacuum pressure side port which can also double as a return. So added all up we have ~6 returns. The more returns the better in my book as it makes for better circulation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've had our pool for 2 months. It's rectangular but similar dimensions. Ditch the suction cleaner (or see what it would cost to stub it out). We went with a robot but the PB stubbed out the line for free just in case.

I had to convince the PB to go VS pump but it's worth it. So we started swimming end of July. I run the pump at 3200 rpm uses about 1900 watts at that speed for 2 hours in the am when electricity is the cheapest (we uses a company GRIDDY Electric Company | Griddy | Texas and they sell power wholesale and no commitment). In the afternoon it's set to 1400 rpm to skim the pool and uses around 75 watts for 2 hours and then again later in the evening for 2 hours in case the adults want to swim.

So our pump runs for 6 hours but only 2 really uses a lot of electricity and the pools been crystal clear. It will save you money in the long run.

I wanted a SWG but the PB wasn't convinced and I wanted the warranty. I'm going to add one either next year or when the warranty goes in 3.

You could ask ask him to plumb the system in a way that when you do put a SWG in it will be easy to install.

If you want fire bowls but without using gas check out the Magic Bowls.
Has anyone seen the Pentair MagicBowl water bowl in person?
MagicBowlâ„¢ Water Effects - YouTube
I'm glad we went with them.

Our whole system is controlled by our phones and tablet. Another place I saved money was not buying the remote.

Also I would ditch the led bubblers. We looked at them and if you search the forum they have a lot of issues. I would go with a nichless light for your shelf. We went all nichless and have plenty of light.

Depth is all preference and I know it's been discussed a lot on other pools but I would go 4' not 3'6"

I know different areas charge different rates but I paid about 10.50sqft for travertine pavers in N Houston. You can check my build in my signature.

I just sent a revision to the PB as follows, how does this look:

Pool Dimensions and Information
18’x36’ (dig lines) Gunite shell freeform shape
3’6”x5’6”x4’6” in depth water is 3” lower Make 3" deeper to compensate i.e. 3'9"x4'9"x5'9"
8’x8’Tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve I hope that we can have the tanning shelf on the south end of the pool and make it a little wider. I would like about 12'x8' with a small led light on the tanning shelf so it doesn't go black at night for safety with my child.
8'-10' foot bench along pool wall on deep end of pool
16’ raised back wall 18” with 2 water features lighted sheers I want this wall to be longer in the back, I would like it to run the majority of the length of the pool. I may cut the LED lights on the sheers to put that money to use on other improvements after this bid revision.
2 fire bowls these are a new type (Waiting on brand and style)
36” fire pit
800 foot of spray deck upon final measurement, if amount is less will any credit be issued?
Drains as needed VGB compliant drain covers, also gutter down spout connections? I have 2 gutter down spouts to deal with the water.
Additional decking is $9.50 per sq ft.
Choice of waterline tile with $5.50 budget
Travertine coping Bullnose 1.5" thick? Will this be sealed with a silicone based penetrating sealer.
Quartzscape plaster (choice of basic colors) Montego bay

Electrical information

3 Intellibrite 5G color changing LED, 1 for tan deck can be of the smaller variety if necessary.
Pentair EasyTouch PL4 with screen logic 2 added.

Pool Equipment

1- Pentair 3hp Intelliflo Variable Speed. I understand that this pump will operate the pool and the couple of water features adequately. I plan to contact Pentair to verify for sure. Worst case we add a small pump for water features if necessary.
1-Pentair 420 cartridge filter
I want to go with a robot cleaner in lieu of suction cleaner. I will order one.
Pentair Intelliclor IC40 saltwater chlorine generator.
1-Pool pole, brush, vaccuum

3-year parts and labor warranty through Pentair.
Is the pool workmanship and material warrantied? If so how long?
Pool Specifications
Steel Rebar #3 and #4 rebar to shape pool
12 inch beams for pool
8” to 10” Gunite floor
All plumbing is 1 ½” and 2” schedule 40 pipe CPVC on all pump connections
All plumbing is pressure tested
Approx. 3/8” of white plaster
Pool will have 2 skimmers
6 pool returns (can I get some adjustable jets in pool?)
2 main drains with valve All drain covers VGB compliant?
Auto water filler and Pool overflow with anti-siphon valve.
Are all of the expansion joint joining the house and decking epoxy filled as well as the decking to coping gap?
Is 4-inch PVC drain pipe included?

Pool Plan

Contract agreement
Pool Lay out
Dig
Steel
Plumbing stub out
Gunite
Equipment and plumbing installed
Coping and tile
Deck lay out and concrete pour
Plaster
Area clean up
Kool deck applied.

Do you have a guesstimate on how many gallons this pool will be?

Aim for a SWCG rated at least 2x and preferably nearly 3x your pool volume. In TX it will be needing to supply 4+ppm of chlorine a day. Preferably all during daylight hours.

Take care.

My pool is a little smaller than yours but I have the same pump specified above and it runs the pool, sheer decent and a bubbler fine at 50% max pump speed. On the heater I am in DFW and now starting to wish I added one and may be adding one in the next year or so. Perfect example is right now when the outside temp is getting to 90 degrees but the water temp stays at 79-80 degrees because the evenings and mornings are so cool. I have no problem getting in the pool at 84 degrees but 79-80 is pretty dang cold. Would be nice to raise the temp a few degrees to be able to swim right now. Of course this is a fairly unusual year for Texas weather. Only other comment I have is the depth as others mentioned. I have a small area at 3.5' and deeply regret it wish I would have gone 4' on both ends.

SWCG for sure and I would give serious thought to depth at shallow end. We were going to do 3.5 and went with 4 on each end and 5.5 in the middle. Result is a totally useable pool without water getting to warm at the shallow ends. I have the suction side cleaner and for my pool it does a good job Yes the pump has to run but I run it on low speed (2 speed pump which is the minimum I would go with). With that being said I will pick up a robot next year and if for some reason the robot is down (it does happen) I can still use my suction side cleaner until robot is ready to play again. Yes do check rebates on pool pumps as I did not get one for two speed and would have received at least $100 for VS pump. Good luck...

Mcow, I really appreciate this info! I think I am going to go with the 4'-4.5'-5.5' recommendation since so many people have made that one. I am glad that the pump is right for what I am doing and also I think I will have the pad plumbed for a heater in the future but for now they are just too expensive for this build. DFW also gets a lot cooler and less humidity than Houston. We have a place southeast of there and its already much cooler there in the mornings. thanks and take care.

Do you have a guesstimate on how many gallons this pool will be?

Aim for a SWCG rated at least 2x and preferably nearly 3x your pool volume. In TX it will be needing to supply 4+ppm of chlorine a day. Preferably all during daylight hours.

Take care.

From his size and depth I'd say it will be between 16-18k. I have a rectangle pool that size with a spa and a little deeper and it's about 20k

From what I have estimated I am thinking 17-18K is about right as well. Should I get an IC60 just to be sure or would that be overkill?

At 18K and IC40 you will be running your pump 10 hours per day with the SWCG at 100% to get 4ppm FC. Not bad with a VS pump.

I would think the IC40 is sufficient.

Take care.

Mcow, I really appreciate this info! I think I am going to go with the 4'-4.5'-5.5' recommendation since so many people have made that one. I am glad that the pump is right for what I am doing and also I think I will have the pad plumbed for a heater in the future but for now they are just too expensive for this build. DFW also gets a lot cooler and less humidity than Houston. We have a place southeast of there and its already much cooler there in the mornings. thanks and take care.

Hi!
My biggest regret is not going with 6' or 7' depth in the middle and having one end 3 1/2 instead of going with 4 ' on each side. My grandkids spend about 90% of their time jumping in and climbing out to jump back in, over and over. At 5 1/2', my 6 yr old grandson is already touching the middle bottom when he jumps, so now we are having all the kids tuck when they jump so no one gets hurt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.