Pool draining / Cleaning

itried

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 12, 2014
Angleton, Tx
Suggestions needed. Like many others in our area our pool was flooded from river water. So its a mess and needs to be drained and pressure washed etc. Should i wait a week or longer after the water has receded from around the pool to start draining? I dont want to have issues with the pool lifting causing more issues. Any info appreciated. Sorry i did not search before posting..

Draining the pool, especially significant draining, is something that has to be done with caution. Given the residual water in your area and potential for an elevated water table, I would be reluctant to drain too much water. We see pools get flooded every year across the country here on TFP with mud, mulch, and other vegetation debris settling in the pool. In most cases, it simply takes time and consistent cleaning while keeping the FC at about SLAM level. What took Harvey a few hours to mess-up might take you a week or two to clear, but you should be able to clear that water without extreme draining.

I do not think you want to drain your pool. The high water will be a problem.

Depending on the solids present in the water you could try using a sump pump in the deep end and using the same flow you are getting out of the sump pump add fresh water to the shallow end. That would clear the water. Then SLAM Process with lots of brushing.

If you have a heavy sediment load on the bottom of the pool you could install some temporary plumbing to vacuum to waste while adding water.

I am sure there will be other suggestions.

Take care.

Thanks guys! Yea there is fish in it lol.. and who knows what else is in there.. I will be able to get back in maybe this weekend when the water is off the main roads. I will just use a trash pump and pull a little out at a time, then add repeat. No rush as i have to take care of the flooded shop first.

flooded pool.jpg

Instead of focusing on draining, I'd focus on using a garbage pump to get as much crud off of the bottom as possible while adding fresh water to replace what you're pumping out. Fish around with a leaf rake to get the big stuff, use the garbage pump to vacuum the bottom to get most of the mud out. The water table will preclude you from pumping much water out of that pool for a while - you're at high risk of floating the shell.

Instead of focusing on draining, I'd focus on using a garbage pump to get as much crud off of the bottom as possible while adding fresh water to replace what you're pumping out. Fish around with a leaf rake to get the big stuff, use the garbage pump to vacuum the bottom to get most of the mud out. The water table will preclude you from pumping much water out of that pool for a while - you're at high risk of floating the shell.

Thats the plan

so i was able to get the pool back to normal with slamming. Crystal clear water, can see screw heads in 7' of water, have passed multiple OCLT tests. But i still have .5-1.0ppm CC? I have pulled out each light, cover niche etc. Is there anything else that could be in the water causing this? Thanks

Depending on when you test you may show a small amount of CC. CC are burned off by the sunlight. So if you test in the morning when no sun has hit the pool yet, you may show some CC from the organics that consumed over night.

Less than 1 ppm CC should not set off any alarm bells unless other factors are present. Mainly hazy looking water or spots of algae. You have neither.

Good job on the successful SLAM. Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.