Hayward 400FDP 2 months old getting IF (ignition failor) error

Apr 22, 2017
Yardley, PA
Hi All,

I have a new heater that has been working great for the first 2 months in service. This weekend I had the hot tub running for most of the day, and in the evening got the IF error. My propane tank is reading at 40%.....is the most likely cause just needing a refill of the tank to get the pressure level high enough again?

I am having a tough time thinking it is a spider web blockage since it quit running midday... and not a cold start after winter or long pause with no use.

Thanks.
Tim

Thank you. There is no regulator. I turned it on yesterday, and it fired up. Here in PA we are starting to get colder temps in the 50s in the evening. Maybe there is just enough pressure in the tank when the weather is warmer....not sure....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see it has been running fine for 2 months and now all of a sudden it is not. Has anything change like maybe a new device added to the line that the heater is on? IS the heater the only device that is fed from the tank?

On a propane system, I have never seen large diameter piping coming from the tank to a device. However, usually the tank is high pressure and then a regulator is installed at the heater.

Having a heater technician put a manometer on the gas valve will tell you where the problem lies. Remember, when you add a 400,000 BTU appliance to your house you could be doubling the load on the tank. Most homes have a BTU load of around 175,000 to 250,000 BTU's. We normally recommend that the the propane tank be at least 500 gals and be kept about 40%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.