Algae bubble clusters floating on top of water

SherrieDee

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 28, 2017
San Antonio
Hi All,

Have been reading this site voraciously the last week since my pool guy didn't show after I told him the water was turning green. We've had a lot of rain from Harvey. Decided to nip it in the bud before it got out of control. Oh well, You're Fired! Decided I could probably do it myself, let him go, and dove into this site.

So, I have ordered the recommended test kit (XL) plus stirrer which is scheduled to arrive on Friday. I don't know what the pool guy was using so I have been SLAMming with cal hypo, vacuuming, running the filter and cleaning my cartridge filter for the last week and have it looking better today than I've ever seen it; sides are blue instead of green, which I didn't even know...lol (we just moved in last October so this is our first season with this pool).

Only problem I now see is small bubble clusters floating on top of the water that are green after I vacuum or stir up the water. I haven't gotten in for a week. There are not many, but they are there and when I skim them, the net has a green residue. Bottom and sides have been brushed and vacuumed and there is no green residue on the bottom. I bought bleach and added a gallon today. I also have a puck floating in a floater (overkill?). I included a pic which shows one of the floating algae-looking clumps; it's to the left and above the dark blue square.

algae 82917.JPG

Using my weenie test kit until the other one arrives gives:

FC 5++++
ph 7.2-7.4
Alk 80

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
:roll:

Welcome and good move firing the pool guy! You CAN do this, its easy and you'll save a fortune.

Good work on the test kit. WHen it comes run a full set of tests and get us the results like this:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

In the meantime NO MORE CAL HYPO, and nothing but bleach every day. One gallon a day and brush the pool daily. Run your filter and pump. Take that floater and all pucks out.

We'll help you fix this once we know more about the chemistry.

Maddie :flower:

Back again after receiving test kit and conducting tests...it don't look good...lol ��

FC 15 plus. I stopped after 30 drops trying to get rid of red.
CC didn't do
Ph 7.5
TA 300 plus. I stopped after 30 drops. Turned blue then yellow.
CH 825
CYA 100 is the closest marking but it was only halfway up to the 100 mark on the cylinder

i am having some mild algae growth. Water is crystal clear. Have not added anything since Thursday night at which time I added 121 oz of 8.25 bleach.

What do I do next?

Sherrie

Sorry Sherrie- your pool is a little sick. If you have algae, and your FC is that high (or higher, since you stopped at 15) and your CYA is over 100 (how much, we don't know? Could be a lot more) it shows things are out of whack.

You CH is dang high.... all that Cal-Hypo, huh?

I see a significant water drain and refill in your future, then you need to SLAM the pool and get the chemistry in line to kill the algae.

I would say you need to drain 1/2 at least once, and then re-test everything and see if the numbers lowered enough to start a SLAM. Since you don't have a SWG, your CYA should be about 40-50 (being in sunny Texas) and your CH should be about 350ish.

Directions for SLAM -->SLAM Process

If your water table is high, it would be safest to drain 1/4, refill, then drain 1/4 again. This prevents the ground water pressure lifting your pool up and causing it to
"float".

Any more questions, please bring them on!

I have started the drain and refill process but my water here is hard (250-350 ppm per our water system site) so I'm wondering how many iterations I need to do to see real progress. I also have an issue with the drained water bc not supposed to run to street per city ordinance and don't want to deluge mine or neighbors yards with my runoff so doing this very stealthily. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sherrie

Ok, it's been a week and I've been working hard to drain and refill. Pool still looks crystal clear and I've been swimming in it. I have added nothing during this last week. Have vacuumed and cleaned filter three times during the week. Here are my readings as of today:

FC 25
CC 1.5
TC 26.5
pH 7.8
TA 170 (when it turned yellow and remained so for 50+ drops thereafter)
CH 550
CYA 100 (almost to the line)

I know there is still work to do but much better than initially! Please advise on next steps. Thanks.

Sherrie

Keep at it with the stealth drains and lets get that CYA and CH down some.

Something is still in the water with a CC of 1.5...but what? Your FC is no where near where it needs to be to kill it though- not at a CYA of 100. See this--> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] You haven't ever added any other pool product like Non-Chlorine shock or something...right. They sometimes can cause you to see CCs. Don't cover the pool either, you need the sun to help burn off CCs.

Look behind all your weir doors and in the skimmers, any light fixtures, any place you may be harboring this allusive algae.

You can fix the TA at the end of all this.... least important thing at this point.

Can't you run a hose to your sewer clean out and drain to there? Would be better to do some larger drain/refills or you will have a very large water bill unless that is not a concern.

Take care.

My husband found the sewer drain cleanout which is near the front porch so I ordered and received today a 100' backwash hose to run all the way around the house which I just hooked up to waste and will do a major drain and refill in the next day or two.

Regarding adding non-chlorine shock, I know I have only added cal hypo and pucks but the guy who was caring for my pool since we purchased in October 2016 could have added anything; I really don't know. I only have one light fixture and will scrub around it. I'll also remove the skimmer basket thing and scrub in there and clean the mesh really well. Should I clean the cartridge filter in something? Could algae be hiding in there?

Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

Sherrie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you're doing great- the water going thru the filter will take care of that. Just as long as you keep your circulation going, that is! LOL

Great find by the hubster of that sewer drain clean out! That's how I empty my hot tub too... of course the clean out is about 10 feet away and under the deck panel. Easy peasy drain.

Well, moving right along...did a 20-25% drain and refill two nights ago and tests today are as follows:

FC 11.5
CC 0.5
TC 12
pH 8.2
TA 160-170
CH 475
CYA 100 (at the line)

(Tests are making a lot more sense now that I don't have to add so much reagents...lol)

Have added nothing...water still crystal clear...vacuumed leaves, etc.

Next step(s)?

Sherrie

If your CYA is at 100 (should do Step 8 under CYA testing in Extended Test Directions, Pool school) then at least another 50% drain.

Take care.

Well, moving right along...did a 20-25% drain and refill two nights ago and tests today are as follows:

FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 1.5
pH 8.2
TA 170-180
CH 550
CYA 75

Have added nothing...water still crystal clear...vacuumed leaves, etc.

Next step(s)?

Sherrie

Maintain you pH and FC levels daily until you can predict what it is going to be. Keep FC in line with the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], pH should be between 7.2 and 7.8. Both of those should be adjusted now.

You would most likely benefit from lowering your TA to keep the pH in check. Read more on that here: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
There is no magical TA number to aim for, you just keep lowering TA until you pH stops rising above 8 quickly. This process could take anywhere from a week to a couple months to balance out.

With your high CH, TA, and pH you should keep an eye on you CSI score as well. Pool math will calculate it for you. More on calcium scaling here: Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.