Pool build - Southwest FL - Tampa

sehrmude

Bronze Supporter
Aug 21, 2017
Tampa, FL
Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences in the past - I've learned enough to be somewhat intelligent when talking to Pool Builder Salespeople...

My favorite human (wife) and I have gone through nearly 3 month process of choosing a pool builder - from what I have read here, the fun is just beginning.

Experience so far - My wife could not get a pool builder to call her back to schedule a sales visit. She called 4 companies and none called her back. She passed the torch to me and I altered the initial conversation a little:

"Hello, you build pools, right? Ok good. I have a problem...I just bought a house without a pool, I have cash to spend right now and I'm either getting a new kitchen or a pool...how soon can you have your sales person meet with me?"

That same week I had 2 designers show up, and the next week 3 more.

Here we learned the first lesson: If you know what you want, don't let the designer draw up whatever THEY want. It took a week to start getting quotes, but when we did they were very very different. Different shapes and sizes - we were comparing apples to oranges.

It was time to adjust the method a little.. My favorite human is a Landscape Designer and is intimately familiar with CAD - so she drafted the pool she wants and submitted back to all pool companies for a quote.

Soon we were getting apples to apples to compare - but only from 2 companies. What happened to the other three?? To the day I firmly believe that they went on a permanent vacation, even though their office/phone answering service stated otherwise. I suppose they are simply THAT busy.

Not being 100% satisfied with only the two quotes, landscape designer wife decided to use her job to connect with customers who were having pools installed at the same time as their landscape quotes... new companies to call and give the opportunity to earn my cash.

Two more companies called, both interested initially and then one dropped off the face of the planet. The other one, however, was not only VERY responsive - but also quickly became my #1 choice.

You might think that the price had something to do with that...no...they are not cheap(er). Through ALL of my research on the companies, I came to realize that bad reviews of the pool build were ALWAYS due to some shoddy work by the sub-contractor. This one pool builder has been in business over 40 years and have their own in-house build team. The only things they sub contract is the Pebbletec finish (because Pebbletech does not allow pool builders to do this unless they want to buy a franchise) and the paver (coping/deck) install. They have a nearly 20 year relationship with the only paver company they use and warranty the install the same as all other parts of the pool.

In the end, we narrowed it down to two companies and that in-house build team was the deciding factor. We signed the contract Saturday.

I had one of those that dropped off the face of the earth after visiting my house. I did one follow-up call and they said the designer was almost done and would be back with me in a day or so. Never heard from them and I never called back. I'm not a squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of guy when it comes to giving people money to perform a service. Either you want my money or you don't.

How soon after signing the contract will they get started?

Looks great.

Get an estimate of your pool volume and be sure the SWCG is sized at least 2X, and in Florida even 3X, your pool volume.

Will keep you from having to run your pump and SWCG nearly 24 hours a day ---

Take care -- good luck!

Thanks for that, Marty. I hadn't asked which Aquarite Salt Generator they spec'd for the pool... They originally spec'd the Hayward C150 cartridge filter and the sales guy was reluctant to increase the size of that, stating that the C150 was "oversized" for this pool and increasing the size would add cost with no benefit.. The Hayward c200 was only $80 more.

We did change from the "concrete brick" coping and deck surface... we learned that the "standard" paver is from 'Flagstone Pavers', and my landscape designer/favorite human has had bad experience with that brand on some of her landscape jobs. We chose Shellstone (Oystershell) travertine product instead...

Yes, the sun shelf was very important to wife...must be able to place three lounge chairs on it comfortably. At the water it is 10 x 7 feet.

I didn't think about starting at 4'...I'll talk to the wife about that. We decided to keep the "deep" end at 5' because we wanted most people to be able to stand anywhere. (visions of floating KanJam games) Although, wife and I are both 5' 10" tall, so maybe if we start at 4' and go to 5' 6" it would still be good. (decisions decisions)

Looks great.

Get an estimate of your pool volume and be sure the SWCG is sized at least 2X, and in Florida even 3X, your pool volume.

Will keep you from having to run your pump and SWCG nearly 24 hours a day ---

Take care -- good luck!

I verified with PB - we will be getting the ARQ-15 (AquaRite w/TurboCell, for Pools up to 40,000 Gallons)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We did change from the "concrete brick" coping and deck surface... we learned that the "standard" paver is from 'Flagstone Pavers', and my landscape designer/favorite human has had bad experience with that brand on some of her landscape jobs. We chose Shellstone (Oystershell) travertine product instead...

Hi! I've been lurking here for about a week now. Finalizing our decisions so you and your wife and my hubby and I will be building buddies here in the near future. We are in the Orlando area.
Good to know about the Flagstone Pavers. That's what every builder here seems to use. We are going with Travertine coping. Not sure about our pavers now.

It is amazing how the sales guys just don't call back. Weird way of staying in business.

We started our pool process in 2013 but never pulled the trigger. One pull company called us about our inquiry to them a full year after we emailed them. A FULL YEAR before first contact to us!. Needless to say we didn't choose them.

Hi! I've been lurking here for about a week now. Finalizing our decisions so you and your wife and my hubby and I will be building buddies here in the near future. We are in the Orlando area.
Good to know about the Flagstone Pavers. That's what every builder here seems to use. We are going with Travertine coping. Not sure about our pavers now.

We originally chose pavers over the shell stone travertine to save $$ - Pavers were almost half the cost. Once we realized it was Flagstone and wife said no way, our PB gave us the option to use Belgard pavers instead - Wife really likes Belgard quality, but the price difference between Belgard and Flagstone is a big jump (product alone is about the same as Flagstone installed). We decided to pay just a little more for the travertine - with the FL sun it stays much cooler than any of the concrete brick pavers. The shell stone travertine is a very light color and you can see the oyster shells imbedded in the rock - very pretty. I found it difficult to find a good picture of it via google images - but we have a sample from the builder.

Has anyone done the sun shelf in a different color than the pool? I thought about going with Desert Gold Pebblesheen on the shelf to make it look like sand - but didn't care for the green water Desert Gold ends up as in the deep end. We chose white diamond w/ cobalt blue glass beads for the pool. Asked the PB about it and was quoted $400 cost increase to shoot two different colors.

My neighbor did a tan on his beach entry to shelf and blue in the main portion of the pool. He told me it cost him $500 for the two colors. I think it looks good for the beach entry but I'd have to see it on a tanning shelf.

My neighbor did a tan on his beach entry to shelf and blue in the main portion of the pool. He told me it cost him $500 for the two colors. I think it looks good for the beach entry but I'd have to see it on a tanning shelf.

Thanks for the reply. The more I think about it the less I want to have two colors... We are picking a cobalt blue waterline tile to accent the blue glass beads in the pebble finish...if we use desert gold on the sun shelf, the waterline tile may look out of place around that area. The upgraded waterline tile costs ~$480...so not paying $400 for the different color pebble makes it almost a wash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.