Pool build - Southwest FL - Tampa

Well, pet sitter didn’t get pictures until tonight after the sun went down. Today, the Pool builder had removed the forms, began plumbing trenches and did some of the grading around the pool. My wife will be there in the morning and hopefully she will have time before work to get a daytime photo.

eventually maybe the pictures I am trying to post will upload.

Last edited:
Sehurmude, Since you are a wonderful supporting member you should be able to upload the pic to our servers! That is one of the bennies for being a member.

-Go to photo Gallery (towards the top of this page)
-click on upload images (bar under the one photo gallery was in)
-pick the ones you want and upload them

Then go the pics and use the "direct image code" (copy/paste I THINK but it has been a while) to get them in your post.

Let me know if this works!

Kim:kim:

Well, it appears the pictures are too big to upload - but it’s the first time my iPhone photos have been too big. When I get home I will be able to resize on the computer.

On a different topic, in the last pictures we saw the white PVC before they shot the shell - I thought they were all the returns, but it turns out some of them were place-holders for lights. That’s why there were two on the sun shelf - one return and one light.

The pool builder was back out today to run the plumbing and, from the picture my wife sent me, it looks like they are pressure testing that now!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question for all the experts - I’ve been looking at the labels on the pipes and see that the overflow pipe is connected to the spot directly over the swimout shelf in the deep end. That spot through the pool wall is at the same level as the returns... is that right?? Shouldn’t the overflow be higher than the returns?

I’ve measured both the return pipe and the overflow hole in the shell - both are 12” below the edge of the concrete...

I think your overflow pipe is fine. Ours is done the same way. Once the pool is done the builder will cut the pipe off at the correct level above the ground and the water will drain out after it reaches the level of the open pipe pointing up outside your pool. Don't worry about that.

Kim - I’m not sure why the site posts some pictures and not others. They upload into the preview window but end up as an attachment when I hit ‘Post Quick Reply’. Since I am using an iPhone to take the pics and upload to the site, maybe the pictures are just a bit too large (file size).

I think your overflow pipe is fine. Ours is done the same way. Once the pool is done the builder will cut the pipe off at the correct level above the ground and the water will drain out after it reaches the level of the open pipe pointing up outside your pool. Don't worry about that.

I see what you are saying...they way the builder has it, water will always be in the overflow pipe, but won’t flow out until it is higher in the pool than the end of the pipe. That makes sense.

I assumed the inlet would be high in the wall and water would only go into the pipe if it was too high in the pool.

Either way works.

Mark, Thanks for sharing that info. I love learning new things! I did not know they did it that way. What does the non-pool end look like? Where is is located? Do you have any problem with stagnate water in the pipe?

Kim :kim: (never too old to learn!)

Just happened to find your thread. Very interesting stuff, though I've only read the beginning and the end. I'm a newbie to both TFP and pool owning in general, so I'm no expert. Can I share my recent experience? My [now X] pool guy replaced my drain covers with ones that were safer, but higher, than I had. Code retirement here in CA. The safer, not the higher. Turns out the new covers trapped the vacuum and caused it to get stuck on top. There are low profile covers that meet code, so if your going to have a vacuum, something to watch out for.

Since I later had to have my plaster redone, I actually had my drains removed. LOVE IT!! No drains are as safe as it gets. And I love the clean look. No more vacuum issues, and no more stubbing toes. Did you consider no drains? Was that ever discussed or offered? I wonder what others think about that. I understand it is a recent trend. Maybe your local code wouldn't permit that. A bit late in the game for you, I realize, but technically you could still have them gone, if you really wanted. They'd just plaster over the drain pipes. That's how they deleted mine. Sorry, you probably don't appreciate hearing about this now, but I thought it couldn't really hurt to share... Especially since you haven't plastered yet...

Regarding the overflow, mine is like yours, I think. My non-pool end is below the pool end, hidden in the garden, so it doesn't trap water. I think they do them like this so that you can later modify the water level. At least that's how mine is. If it was a hole in the tile, that'd be the level you'd be stuck with. Mine is a removable/replaceable plastic pipe, that can later be shortened or replaced to make longer. Not sure why you'd want to change your level, but the option is there. And actually, it's not the overflow tube that determines your water level, it's your auto fill (if you're getting one). My auto fill sets the level of the water with a little set screw on the float. Water evaporates and is refilled, but never really gets close to the overflow tube. That comes into play only during a big rainfall. And for my setup, that's ideal. I have a solar system that fills and drains each day. If the overflow set the level, then each morning the solar system would fill, the water level would drop, the auto fill would replace the water, then at night, when the solar drains, that would overflow into the tube. That would eventually wreck havoc with your chemistry, not to mention waste water. With the auto fill level set below the overflow level, the water level can fluctuate quite a bit before it would overflow. Make sense? Same trouble you'd have if you threw a party for a "big and tall" club. How many people does it take to overflow a pool? (Water displacement.) Like I said, I didn't read your whole post, so maybe someone else covered that...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.