Calcium buildup in DE filter

Sep 3, 2013
DFW area
Never encountered calcium buildup in the filter in seventeen years of maintaining my pool until last Friday. Massive amounts of buildup on the grids but I was able to get it off with a detergent soak followed by diluted acid application. My chemistry balance has never been an issue; pH generally around 7.4-7.8, alkalinity between 60-90, calcium harness 350-400 and has been as high as 500+ but it's been several years since a reading that high. The only thing I did different at the last filter cleaning in the spring was the brand of DE--used HTH from Home Depot. Given that my chemistry is generally ok and I haven't had any calcium buildup on the tiles in two years, what could have caused this and how do I prevent it since I'm not really into spending my weekend cleaning a pool filter when it usually takes about an hour!!

I'm guessing your water is very warm which might be the trigger. If you can keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0.0, that should stop the scaling. Try keeping the pH lower and TA should come down as well and see if that helps.

And just to be sure it's calcium scaling, did the grids sizzle/bubble when the the acid wash was applied?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.