mfk0213

Gold Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
TX
Hi Guys,

What do you think of this floating pool chemistry monitor: cFloat - The Internet of Things comes to the swimming pool

I don't like the pHin and Sutro. But this seems somewhat legitimate? I'd like to make measurements of the pool chemistry over time just for curiosity. Any pool chemistry monitoring system anyone can recommend? I don't want something that 'decides' for me - just some data reporting and logging.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mo

It's basically a floating pH and ORP probe. ORP just simply does not work in a TFP managed pool because we recommend levels of CYA far above what allows an ORP probe to work. ORP is also subject to inherent inaccuracies that arise from UV light hitting the pool water, temperature and alkalinity fluctuations, etc. What you're paying for (assuming they charge what all of these "wireless pool monitors" charge) is far in excess of whatever useful information it can provide.

Save your time and don't waste your money on another expensive pool toy that will just prove to be a bust. Sutro, pHin, cFloat, WaterGuru, etc, etc, it's all the same...just a waste of time. Use the money to buy a good test kit, that's all you really need.

Be aware that the systems that use ORP and pH probes all tend to drift or fail with regularity. ORP is known to have issues with CYA much above 20 ppm. pH probes must be calibrated with a known solution.

If it works, they will sell lots of them. But unless they have truly solved those issues, it is more of the same.

Oxidation Reduction Potencial
a
ORP is a practical measure to electronically monitor the effectiveness of your pool sanitizer. The better you can understand ORP, the better you will be able to balance the quality of the water in your pool.

ORP is measure in voltage and is a direct measure of oxidizing power.

You'd think they'd proofread....

I am curious as to how the calibration would work. None of the manufacturers seem to be too forthright about it. I don't use CYA, so ORP is a reasonable measure for my pool. Whether or not the pH probe and ORP sensor are accurate is an entirely different story!

Anyone with experience with the non-floating sensor/monitor/controllers? Just looking for 'fun' new ways to measure and automate when I ran across cFloat. I've thought about making my own system to play with, but figured I'd see if anything out there works before putting in too much effort, and what people thought.

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't use CYA

Ok, I will bite.

Do you use chlorine? Is this an indoor pool?

Chlorine with no CYA is really harsh, and has about a 30 minute half life in the sun. I see you have a SWCG. But you are really burning it out if you do not use CYA.

Take care --

I use chlorine - salt water generators operationally and liquid NaOCl (10% from Home Depot) for shock. The swcg's are oversized, 2 of them, each rated for 60kgal. I run them near the bottom end of their settings. Crystal clear water, no complaints from swimmers, no smells, no algae. Cells still look clean (clear containers make it pretty easy to keep tabs on them).

So far so good!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.