science behind salt-CYA verses liquid bleach/cya connection-cost, health, science

A SLAM is often a good choice if any of these happen:
1. When your CYA is above 30 and FC is in the [FC/CYA]target range[/FC/CYA], but you're usually losing more than 4ppm FC per day when no one swims
2. You fail an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
3. The water isn't clear and/or is greenish
4. You see green/yellow on the floors/walls
5. FC has been below [FC/CYA]your CYA's minimum FC[/FC/CYA] for long

- - - Updated - - -

In very rare cases, like yours, a TFP moderator or expert will suggest to end a SLAM Process before all three slam ending criteria are met. In all remaining cases, continuing the SLAM until all three criteria are met is probably the best way to achieving the trouble free pool.
that's more helpful info, although I was loosing more than 4 FC and not passing an overnight test. For learning purposes, I'd like to understand why I didn't have to continue the SLAM. thankyou!

I will post numbers and pic

any suggestions for how much to run the pool now that we're coming into winter? I haven't switched anything yet (has still been running at 100% cell and 24 hrs) and and when I measured today I got FC 20.5, CC .5. I lowered cell to 35% (although I should probably shut it off?). I have pop ups.

What I had prior was:
T1 2am-6am 3000kish rpm
T2 6 am 1553 rpm
T3 off (but I bet it was supposed to be on high for 1/2 hr)
T4 6:30pm-10:30pm 1553

I will have help with the salt cell on Sat so I will post pics then
thx.

Did you understand what Kim meant about only running the pump enough to generate enough FC from SWG?

I think I understand although I also have to keep in mind the floor getting clean. If I followed this idea historically, the amount of time I'd have to run the pool would have to increase in length depending on the time of year and how full of calcium my cell was getting. My husband usually took a week or two to help me get the cell off and my mistake was to see if I could ride it out stubbornly thinking I had a salt water pool, not adding chlorine. Then I got algae twice in that scenario.

It's sounding like I won't run in to that problem now if I get my chemicals balanced, both the calcium and the algae issue.

this is how I clean the cell: I add 32 oz water to the cell then 8 oz MA. Then I let it sit 10-13 min and give it a good strong rinse with the hose. Sometimes I try to push out any left over calcium with a chopstick. I will post a pic tomorrow when we take the cell out. thankyou!

Keeping proper chemical balance will result in no scale in the salt cell. I keep my CSI very slightly on the negative side (-0.20 to-0.35) and I never see any scale in the cell. The check cell light goes on after a few months, I open the cell and confirm it’s clean, reset the light until the next time. I have actually cleaned the cell exactly once in the past two years.

Keeping proper chemical balance will result in no scale in the salt cell. I keep my CSI very slightly on the negative side (-0.20 to-0.35) and I never see any scale in the cell. The check cell light goes on after a few months, I open the cell and confirm it’s clean, reset the light until the next time. I have actually cleaned the cell exactly once in the past two years.

that's amazing. even with this long SLAM i worry i won't be on top of it as much as i'll need to be to be to that great extent but i'm planning on trying...

Important note - "salt water pools" still must maintain [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] or they go green. Salt is not a sanitizer, just the way the SWG produces chlorine from electricity+salt+cell.

Yes, pump run time can go up to keep pool clean, and % on swg can go down if excess FC is produced.

Once your FC falls below 10, let's get a full test result post so we can analyze your water and your CSI to make sure your SWG doesn't scale again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
under 10 FC so here are my current #s:
fc=8
cc=1.5
76 degrees
TA=70
ch=735
cya=30
ph=8.2
CSI=.44

I added 109 oz of MA to move TA and CSI in right direction.
I read another couple threads of people with long slams and their CCs seemed to level out after the decided to end the SLAM and that seems to be what mine's doing-I hope. I also read that CYA can lower in the SLAM process if it's a long slam. seems to be what happened to me. I'll have to start adding more stabilizer.

anything else? thx for all the help. this has been invaluable.

I think your plan is perfect! Well done :)

You can turn down, or turn off, the SWG and let FC drift down. Off if you're getting down below 55 or 60F temp water.

When the SWG gets turned off, your pool becomes a non-SWG pool, so a bit lower CYA is fine. If it was mine, I'd raise CYA to 40 which is fine for now and for the winter, but yep, you're right to raise it some.

Did everything bubble and fizz off the blades of the SWG cell?

I think your plan is perfect! Well done :)

You can turn down, or turn off, the SWG and let FC drift down. Off if you're getting down below 55 or 60F temp water.

When the SWG gets turned off, your pool becomes a non-SWG pool, so a bit lower CYA is fine. If it was mine, I'd raise CYA to 40 which is fine for now and for the winter, but yep, you're right to raise it some.

Did everything bubble and fizz off the blades of the SWG cell?

great. and i need to check FC, MA, CSI daily? yes, everything bubbled off the cell

- - - Updated - - -

just double checking you remembered/read this part:

glad u mentioned this. Sun was unfortunately going down by the time i measured but there was a bit of sun in the corner of my yard so i went to it. no huge rays shining on me but some so sounds like that should be good enough? I can see how that would effect it. It's pretty similar to where it was when I measured with pool guy and we added a pound so maybe i will recheck it midday. Interesting concept needsajet has about lower cya in winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.