High TA question

Because I have to ask, please don't roll eyes! Is there a way to lower the TA without using muriatic acid? I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around putting this in pool water and then having my dogs swim in it. Obviously I know to wait to swim them, but still??? Thank you for your patience!

If your pH is stable, no need to bother with your TA.

You use muriatic acid to lower pH when it gets above 7.8.

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. It is used in lots of places. No need to be concerned. Essentially turns to salt in your pool.

I SO understand your concern! :hug:

It is okay to use in the pool. If you think about the small amount you put in each time compared to large amount water that might help ease your mind.

I will have to look in to if using power PH down as sold in Walmart will also push down the TA but something in the back of my mind is saying no :( I will check to make sure.

Kim:kim:

You can use dry acid if you want as any strong acid will decrease TA. The downside to dry acid is that it adds sulfates to the water which can accelerate some forms of corrosion and should not be used with any kind of SWG as sulfates will cause damage to it.

Just be sure to brush the dry acid around the pool until it fully dissolves and give the water time to circulate (about 15mins or so with the pump running).

Matt it almost sounds like the liquid would be faster therefore safer due to having to brush the power around. I would worry more about some of it not dissolving. Hummmmmm something to think about for sure!

Kim:kim:

As long as you use common sense, liquid is definitely safer and easier IMO. No need to worry about some of it not dissolving or the effort of brushing it around, no remaining chemicals left in pool asking to cause problems. Just use basic common sense your science teacher taught you: don't sniff it, and don't get the concentrated form on your skin.

You're worried about it harming your dogs, but after 15 minutes that small amount is already fully dispersed in the thousands of gallons in your pool. I've added 10 oz to my 6700 galloon pool, and then 15 minutes me and my 1 and 3 year olds were swimming and having fun. Even opened my eyes underwater.

- - - Updated - - -

Your Sig says SW w/E.C.O. I take it that's a saltwater system? If so, you definitely don't want to use dry acid as, like Jason said, it can mess up a SWG. Muriatic acid won't mess up a SWG tho.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.