15+ Days of Slam.. Still cloudy :(

May 10, 2016
Boston
Hi all,

Been slowly opening my pool since around the 6th of May, about a week in I deep cleaned the sand filter (and cleaned the pump too!). Been keeping FC around 12 as I am slowly bringing CYA back up (currently slightly lower than what registers on my taylor test, just ever so slightly - but I've learned my lesson about being slow with CYA instead of replacing water..)

The pool has since stopped eating chlorine as fast and we've passed the OCLT, but it's still cloudy! I can say we've made *some* progress as I can now make out the pattern on the floor but it seems like we've stalled out this past week and to my eyes it's not getting noticeably better.

For the past 7 days, I've been backwashing daily (as it does rise 25% overnight) and adding about half a cup of DE to the filter after.

I vacuumed the floor to waste, and now run the robot every day or two to keep the floor clean.

FC 12
CYA ~20ish and growing - target is 40
pH 7.4
CH 50
TA 50

Is it normal to wait this long? Should I keep waiting? Or does something seem off?

When I deep cleaned the sand filter the laterals on the filter looked okay to my (unprofessional) eyeballs.

Hi all,

Been slowly opening my pool since around the 6th of May, about a week in I deep cleaned the sand filter (and cleaned the pump too!). Been keeping FC around 12 as I am slowly bringing CYA back up (currently slightly lower than what registers on my taylor test, just ever so slightly - but I've learned my lesson about being slow with CYA instead of replacing water..)

The pool has since stopped eating chlorine as fast and we've passed the OCLT, but it's still cloudy! I can say we've made *some* progress as I can now make out the pattern on the floor but it seems like we've stalled out this past week and to my eyes it's not getting noticeably better.

For the past 7 days, I've been backwashing daily (as it does rise 25% overnight) and adding about half a cup of DE to the filter after.

I vacuumed the floor to waste, and now run the robot every day or two to keep the floor clean.

FC 12
CYA ~20ish and growing - target is 40
pH 7.4
CH 50
TA 50

Is it normal to wait this long? Should I keep waiting? Or does something seem off?

When I deep cleaned the sand filter the laterals on the filter looked okay to my (unprofessional) eyeballs.
If the filter is getting dirty quickly, I might back off on the DE and see how it does without it in case its getting back into the pool.

Reactions: LoneWolfArcher
If the filter is getting dirty quickly, I might back off on the DE and see how it does without it in case its getting back into the pool.
Good call. Will the sand filter get the DE out if it's getting back in the pool?

My method for adding it sucks because I don't have a skimmer, I have to detach the intake hose, fill a 5 gallon bucket with water / de, turn the pump on suck it up, turn the pump off, put the intake hose back, turn the pump back on.

Here's a pic from this morning.

signal-2024-05-22-102811.jpeg

Good call. Will the sand filter get the DE out if it's getting back in the pool?

My method for adding it sucks because I don't have a skimmer, I have to detach the intake hose, fill a 5 gallon bucket with water / de, turn the pump on suck it up, turn the pump off, put the intake hose back, turn the pump back on.

Here's a pic from this morning.

View attachment 575382
I’ll admit I don’t like DE and the hassle and mess it can cause. So I’m biased against it. Others will disagree and thats ok. 🤣

Theoretically when you backwash the DE exits with it so the filter must at least catch some DE.

Are you slamming with the cover on? Take it off...pools like to breathe and the exposure to UV also helps in removing any buildup of cc's you might have.
We get so much pollen during the spring I was hoping to minimize how much the pollen is working against us. Chlorine loss has been minimal for well over a week now. I can take it off if you think it'll help.

Reactions: PoolStored
Put the long weekend to good use with babysitting the pool. You can swim up to SLAM level so long as you could see bottom well enough to rescue someone (God forbid).

Dose to keep it at SLAM level however often is needed. Have some beverages and enjoy the weather. Feel free to mow the lawn or such in between doses and filter cleanings. If you have to run out for a while, dose early and it'll buy you the time away, however long the FC has been holding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support