15' AGP - Help choosing a pump/filter

Jul 17, 2014
Lexington, NC
I am ready to re-open my 15' agp. I have a 2500 gph cartridge pump. I'm trying to figure out what to do about the shortage of chlorine. I'm thinking about going with SWG. I've also been wanting to move away from cartridge to sand for the last few years. I have a $500 budget. Any recommendations for filters, swg, pumps that fall into that budget range?

The Intex SWG isn’t a bad option for a small pool like yours. They have two, one rated for pools up to 7,000 gallons and one rated for pools up to 15,000 gallons. I would suggest going with the larger one because the general rule is to get a SWG rated for twice the capacity of your pool. The bigger one is around $200 on amazon, so well within your budget.

They do also have all in one pump/filter/SWG units, however, I would suggest staying away from those. The big disadvantage with those all in one units is that they don’t have separate timers for the pump and the SWG, so that can make it very difficult to balance the amount of chlorine you’re generating with the amount of filtering your pump is doing. By using a separate pump and SWG they will each have their own timers and the pump can be run for longer than the SWG.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I think to fit within your budget you’re probably still stuck with intex equipment. I might go with something like their 16” sand filter and pump, which would be around $200 on amazon. The advantage is that it will connect easily to your pool and new SWG, since it’s all Intex. Of course the disadvantage is that it is fairly cheap equipment and it won’t last decades, but it should still last a few years.

Moving up to a ’real’ pool pump and sand filter, along with the plumbing and power connections will probably be closer to $1000, maybe even more than that if you want a variable speed pump.

Thanks! I'm seeing the same thing in my search. I can find a few combos around the $500-600 range but nothing that I think would have much value over the Intex. I don't really want to spend $1000 on a pump and filter for a $200 pool.

I appreciate your advice! Thank you! Happy swimming!

I've narrowed it down to 3 (I think)

Intex listed above - 16" filter .75 hp pump - $200
or
Pentair PNSD0040DE1160 Sand Dollar Aboveground Filter System with Blow-Molded Tank, 1 HP - 19" filter 1 hp pump - $400 (there is also a similar model for a little less on amazon with 1-1/2 hp pump?)
or
Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter System, 16 in Filter with 1 HP Power-Flo LX Pump - 16" filter - 1hp - $400

Is the Pentair or Hayward name and or the extra 1/4 hp worth the extra $200?

I think ideally what I'm looking for is a 16" filter with 1 hp pump.

I've narrowed it down to 3 (I think)

Intex listed above - 16" filter .75 hp pump - $200
or
Pentair PNSD0040DE1160 Sand Dollar Aboveground Filter System with Blow-Molded Tank, 1 HP - 19" filter 1 hp pump - $400 (there is also a similar model for a little less on amazon with 1-1/2 hp pump?)
or
Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter System, 16 in Filter with 1 HP Power-Flo LX Pump - 16" filter - 1hp - $400

Is the Pentair or Hayward name and or the extra 1/4 hp worth the extra $200?

I think ideally what I'm looking for is a 16" filter with 1 hp pump.

I decide to go with the Hayward

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.