Moved into new home and need help making decision about 20+ year old hot tub

Aug 16, 2017
Toronto
Hi TFP! :D

Just moved in and the previous owners left a hot tub for us. Before jumping into any details, we're trying to figure out whether to keep it or scrap it.

Details: I can't figure out the model but it's a 20+ year old Beachcomber powered by a Powersource 2400 motor. We're located around Toronto, Ontario.
Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/pKjXV
Issues:
  1. There are two leaks on the motor side and the opposite side that can be seen in the concrete. There are a few patched cracks in the shell but not sure if the patches are leaking or it's due to ants.
  2. There are a ton of carpenter ants going in and out of it. Not sure if they are responsible for the leaks but they clearly have nests inside the frame.
  3. We heard (haven't tested yet) from our neighbour that the heating element in the motor isn't working.
Questions:
  1. Can the cedar wrap/frame be removed and replaced? I'd be removing it to exterminate the ants but also to check on the interior and address any other issues.
  2. My wife is concerned about the energy usage if we keep it. Is the difference between a 20+ year old hot tub and a newer one that significant?
  3. Are my choices in upgrading the motor limited due to the hot tubs age or is the sky the limit? Any recommendations?
  4. What are my options for fixing the shell cracks? I've looked for plast-aid but can't seem to find it in Canada.
  5. Would you keep it?
  6. If we end up getting rid of it, would like to hear your experiences and advice about how to go about it.

Sorry for all the detail but wanted to make sure you had all the info available. Thanks in advance for your help!

I have had SPAs for about 25 years. One of the best things I did was replace my 15 year old spa with a new one. It saved me a ton in energy costs, it had much better automation, it had a bunch more jets, it was much easier to maintain, the right size, and contained more conveniences like drink holders and neck massages.

My answer would be that there has been a lot of modifications and improvements on GOOD spas over 20+ years. If it was me and cost was not a large concern, I would definitely purchase a new one with the exact items that my family wanted.

I have had SPAs for about 25 years. One of the best things I did was replace my 15 year old spa with a new one. It saved me a ton in energy costs, it had much better automation, it had a bunch more jets, it was much easier to maintain, the right size, and contained more conveniences like drink holders and neck massages.

My answer would be that there has been a lot of modifications and improvements on GOOD spas over 20+ years. If it was me and cost was not a large concern, I would definitely purchase a new one with the exact items that my family wanted.

Honestly that's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks for the reassurance. I think we'll get rid of it this year and save up to buy a new one at a later date.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.