Pool Pump recommendations

May 27, 2016
Virginia Beach
Pool Size
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hey all,
My pump has gotten to the point where it is obnoxiously loud and I wouldn't be surprised to have the police knock on the door to talk to me about a noise complaint from any one of the 25 neighbors in my neighborhood. I have a 1.65 SF Pentair Whisperflo WF-4 currently. I want to replace the pump with a variable speed to save on electricity....should I replace the whole pump or just the motor. What are things to look for to determine if this fix is motor only compared to the whole pump? Also I have the aqua logic control system, would I need to have a pump that could communicate with that system or are they plug and play(currently Pentair and Hayward anyway)?

After reading for the past two days about GPM, SF, HP, Head I have no idea if I have the right pump installed. First off there are different size pipes, all pipes going to the to the pump and after the SWG are smaller than the piping directly leaving the pump. Could be normal, I just don't know??? Also it's a 33,000 gallon pool with a Pentair quad d.e. 60 filter. Anyways, any help you can provide with suggestions on a new pump would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Picture of current pool setup. Shared album - Gregory Vajda - Google Photos

Picture of current pump
Shared album - Gregory Vajda - Google Photos

Also I have the aqua logic control system, would I need to have a pump that could communicate with that system or are they plug and play(currently Pentair and Hayward anyway)?
I would either get a two speed motor, for your current pump, OR a Hayward VS that is compatible with the controller. What version is the AquaLogic firmware? I believe anything above 2.65 supports VS pumps but only Hayward.

I would either get a two speed motor, for your current pump, OR a Hayward VS that is compatible with the controller. What version is the AquaLogic firmware? I believe anything above 2.65 supports VS pumps but only Hayward.

It says, Main Software Revision 2.86 and Display Software Revision 3.12, so I'm guessing I'm good to go? So I guess I need to weigh the cost difference between a two speed motor and a Hayward VS.

After reviewing the costs of all, I think I'm leaning toward the Pureline brand at INYO pools. Any thoughts on the Pureline brand? Also, they suggested I go with a 2.7 VS instead of the 1.65 VS. I know they are trying to sell pumps so I was curious as to why they said 2.7 instead of the 1.65?

I was looking at that, but the 1.5 HP scared me off of it. Do you think it will be powerful enough for my pool? I pulled out the pool drawings and put in exact measurements of the pool and it is only 29,000 gallons.
Thanks for all the help

Is that compatible with the Aqualogic controller?

It's not compatible, you would just have to keep the "filter" button on all the time and control the pump with the controller/timer that is located on the pump. I would like a pump that has to be controlled by the aqua logic only so I would not have to worry about something shorting out on the extra control panel, but it seems like they don't exist, or at least not anymore.

I was looking at that, but the 1.5 HP scared me off of it. Do you think it will be powerful enough for my pool?
Do you have a spa, in-floor cleaner or other very high flow rate feature? If not, pump size really doesn't matter. I run my pool on a 1/2 HP pump on low speed.

Then the SuperPump SP2602VSP should be fine and you will have full programming control with your controller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.