closing my pool

Aug 11, 2017
lexington
i have a intex 18 ft above ground pool,salt water setup,i have 2 suction and 1 return
i am starting to think about winterizing,i have a couple questions
do i need to lower my water level below the ports or can i get plugs to go in there and leave it were it is ?
do i need a air pillow ?
i have see people put the cover on and then add water to the top, i guess to hold it down ?
i am going to disconnect the filter system and take into the garage
thats about it for now,i guess
dont know if i am going to buy a round cover or get a large enough tarp from harbor freight and let it hang over and tie it off

thanks for the help

lilrobo:

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature. Closing a swimming pool is just about removing water from the lines and plugging everything up. If you are bringing the filter system in the garage, just make sure the temperatures to not get real cold where it could freeze. If the lines disconnect from the outside of the pool, just plug from the inside with rubber plugs.

The suction side (are these regular skimmers) or just suction from 2 ports? The return should be standard. I would lower the water a little and you can either place a cover and allow water to sit on top and remove during the winter if the level gets to high. Or you can place a pillow and allow water to run off. Once it snows, then the weight of the snow has to be held by the cover.

yes my garage is heated , i do have a small plug that came with it , i use it when i vac the pool , i plug 1 side off it suck better this way ,so you are saying lower the water a tad bit then plug off all 3 from inside , then use a good winter cover , maybe use a pillow ?

thanks for the help

Can you explain what your garage being heated has to do with the pool? Lowering water is to compensate for water in the winter and it also helps out with skimmers in an IG pool. Your pool maybe a little different. I do not lower my water below the return jets. Some people do.

I move all critical components to a warm space, like a heated garage/basement. Pump, swg and 6 way valve from my sand filter.
I do have a plugged port which is my old suction line below my added on skimmer. It has held through two Canadian winters, as a matter of fact I put the Intex valve on it as a safety and just a month ago noticed it was in the open position, so the plugs hold pretty good.
I would drain your water down a bit just in case of heavy snowfall/rain, not sure if our top loops can take the freeze thaw thing without getting damaged, I know the rest of the liner can.
Double check your drain plugs inside and out as well, the first year mine leaked causing the threaded cap on the outside to move causing a leak, np the second year as I made sure the inside plug was on tight.

i was telling him that my garage was heated and i will put the pump and filter and other things in there thats all . can you buy the small plugs that go inside ? i only have 1 that came with it , or best to drain below the ports and leave open ?
thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.