Contractor messed up shape of my pool

Mar 14, 2017
Far Hills, NJ
The water has just been added to our brand new pool and as I peered into it last night I immediately noticed that the semi-circle edge of the pool on the top end, is uneven (one side of the arch is curvier that the other). On top of that there is a small semi-circle step leading onto the sun-shelf that is also off center. it looks awful! The coping, paving etc has all been done. We have called the contractor but haven't heard back yet. I assume this would be a nightmare to fix? What should I do? Insist he fixes (how big a job is that?) or ask for compensation (how much?).

Presume this is an IG gunite pool based on your description of the concerns. As you say water has just been added, clearly the plaster is done. To change anything at this point would be a major ordeal. You're talking about plaster, coping, tile, concrete, steel, possibly your pool deck and even plumbing. All you can do at this point is ask what your PB is willing to do to compensate you, and based on your overall experience, leave them feedback (e.g. on Google, Yelp, etc).

I do have to ask: how did you not notice these issues before during the build phase? Perhaps the curvature of the semi-circle end requires viewing from a certain angle or height to notice, but the step to your sun shelf being off center is something that would've been more obvious. When our pool was under construction I checked on it daily (or multiple times per day) to confirm it was being done per design. They messed up the layout before a single spec of dirt was dug and had to adjust, and they framed in our sun deck about 60% of the size per the design. The latter I caught the same day they framed in with rebar, so had them tear part of it out and re-do it the next day. Unfortunately, I missed how they did the lower step until after the gunite was done, but fixing it would've required tearing out the step and also adjusting the sun deck. I decided it was minor enough to live with, but it still bugs me sometimes to this day. Point being, if you don't recognize issues early enough, then your options may be severely limited or non-existent. Also consider this speaking from experience - YOU are likely the one who will notice these things going forward vs your family, friends, visitors. Granted, it's your pool and you should be happy with it, but unlikely anyone else will come to swim and say, "hey, did you know this step is off center?" ;) If it's something like coping, tile, plaster details, etc., then those "finishing" things can more easily be addressed. The shape, dimensions, steps/benches/ledges, skimmers, plumbing are things that are literally permanent.

Perhaps you can get some compensation from your PB for these items and be able to move forward and enjoy your new pool, maintained the TFP way, of course! :paddle:

LgHorn - they have been working on the paving around the pool and did the step last. we were on vacation when they did the final touches so I didnt notice it until I was peering into it yesterday. I am always on top of these things so I am annoyed at myself for not being more diligent especially as the step is seriously off. the landscapers told me today they will help with the coping and that should make the semi circle look better but the pool guys need to do the step and they are yet to respond. How much comp should I ask for? I want to be reasonable but dont want to just let this mistake pass?

Good news. The pool contractor agreed it was shoddy work and has agreed to fix it at the end of the season. A huge job but they recognize that its such poor work it would damage their reputation. Unfortunately we have 'other' issues but I will start another thread for those.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.