Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have to buy a floating puck container

1. Back To Top    #1

Have to buy a floating puck container

I find myself having to buy a floating puck container tomorrow. I had tossed all of mine a couple of years ago when we began BBB. But we are leaving on vacation for 10 days and couldn't find anyone to help put in the daily liquid chlorine.

Since our CYA has drifted down to only 20-30 ppm, I don't have a problem using the 3" pucks for the 10 days. But I'm not sure how many pucks? Do I just fill up the puck floater as full as I can with pucks and call it good? The Pool Calculator doesn't calculate the amount of dichlor by the number of 3" pucks needed?

Thanks!
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have to buy a floating puck container

I put 3 in mine, when I was gone for 10 days recently, and the pool survived. (I also raised FC to shock level before leaving, not sure that was really required with the floater.) Yours is bigger, you might want 4 if they fit (or get 2 floaters).
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

On the "effects of adding chems" section, if you put in trichlor, and each puck is usually 7 or 8 oz (look on package) you can determine that way what it will do. One 7 oz puck in your pool will riase the FC by 2 and the CYA by 1.

I'm not sure how quickly the puck will riase the FC by 2 though....I would say do 4 pucks?

Make sure your PH is 7.8 before you leave, and check the PH/TA before you go.

I would also suggest you shock the pool before you leave. Anyone around who can throw in a jug of bleach for ya?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the help.

I tossed 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine in tonight. Each gallon should add around 4 ppm, for a total of at least 16 ppm tonight. I'll toss in the puck floater in the morning and put in as many pucks as will fit.

Normally my pH tends to drift upward, and I tend to live on the high side around 7.8 (or higher). I think my pH drifts upward because the spill-over spa tends to entrain air bubbles as the water goes down the outside edge of the spa and enters the pool.

I'll see if someone can toss in a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in 7 days or so.

I'll let you know how everything works out.
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

5. Back To Top    #5

When I use the floating puck container, I usually put in 2 or 3, and they last about 10 days. Since your pool is twice the size, I would use 2 floaters with 2 pucks apiece. Your CYA is low enough that shouldn't be an issue.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner