store "shock" v bleach

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
So, as usual, the husband questions me on everything pool related. He wants to buy the store shock versus using bleach. Can someone please give me a good reason I can tell him why to use bleach over that...my only answer was bc TFP said so....which didn't fly LOL

Do you mean liquid shock or powder shock? If liquid then buy whichever is the better price per strength, for me I can get 10% liquid chlorine for $2 a gallon so it is a much better value than store bleach.

If solid, then you can tell him that all powder shock has something in it to bind the chlorine in to a solid form. Either calcium or CYA. Neither of which you want too much of in your pool and the only way to remove is by draining the water. There is a third possibility in lithium hypochlorite powder. But that is harder to find and comes at a HUGE premium when compared to any other options.

Powder shock adds unwanted chemicals to the pool

DiChlor adds CYA, after a while with too much CYA your chlorine stops working

CalHypo adds calcium, after a while with too much calcium your pool starts to erupt in little volcanoes of calcium and you end up with a calcium line at the waterline.

Liquid shock adds a little salt. Now, you can buy the high priced liquid shock at the pool store or the generally less expensive liquid pool shock on the laundry isle of your grocery store (bleach)

Powder shock has to dissolve, and spends a lot of time sitting on your pool floor. I now have faded spots in my liner in the lowest areas of the pool, and I can guarantee I have shock bags to thank for it. Bleach begins to work as soon as you pour it in, and it instantly dissipates into the water. It's pretty hard to do a SLAM when you have to wait 6 hours for your shock to completely dissolve before you can test your FC again. I can test 30 minutes after pouring bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.