Trouble Getting CYA up

Ivoryy1271

Jul 26, 2023
Linden, NJ
I just for an above ground bestway circular pool. 14ft across ans 48in deep. I tested the water and everything is where is it supposed to be except CYA and chlorine. Was doing mild research and was listening to someone who didn't know what they were doing. I shock it, chlorine cgoes up to 10 then goes to 0 by next day. I look up and see that it's probably the cya. I buy chlorine stabilizer the chlorox brand and put about 16 oz give or take bc the bag says to put 16 oz per 4k gallons and mind is about 4500 gallons. I throw it in the pool and brush the heck out of it until it's pretty much dissolved. Test it the next day, cya is still 0 . Now it's about 4 days later, I put more stabilizer bc I'm thinking even if it wasn't enough to go to 30ppm it should've showed something more than 0. So I put about 22 oz, brush out and it's been about 3 hours and still at 0. Do I need to wait longer? I really need this chlorine up to even think about going in it. It's a new pool, never swam in and it's been sitting there for 2 weeks already. Just frustrated

Hello! You would benefit by reading Pool School articles such as the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, etc. For CYA, it takes a while to fully dissolve and show up when testing, and you should never just throw it into your pool. Instead, use a skimmer sock or something similar and put CYA in it, then hang it in front of a return, being careful not to rest it on sides or bottom of pool.

The last time I added CYA, i let it hang for a day and it was less than half dissolved. I ended up getting in with it and squeezing it periodically until it dissolved fully. I didn’t bother testing for another day after that, to give it time to show up.

Are you sure that what you put in has fully dissolved?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.