PH Keeps Going Up

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
My Ph has been continually creeping upward. The pool was completely renovated in April. This included a new liner, new pavers, and coping. For the 13 years prior to this renovation, I've always had to deal with Ph dropping BELOW range. Now, I find it inching past 8.0 every week to 10 days. I address it by adding 2 lbs of Sodium Bisulfate and I'm good till the next week. As this has been going on since May, I've just switched to Muriatic Acid because it's cheaper.

What could most likely be causing this? Could it be completely attributable to the fact that I now sanitize with 8.25% Clorox bleach, like the pool store guy suggested? I think I've eliminated aeration as an issue when I cut my pump operation to 8 hours. Could there be something else at work?

My last TFT test results (after a fix):
FCL: 3.5 - 4.0
Ph: 7.4
Alk: 100
CYA: 30-35

You should just be creeping down to a lower TA that will then stabilize your pH.

Did you used to use trichlor (pucks) to chlorinate with? If so -- they are very acidic and that is what caused you to have a dropping pH in the past.

Take care.

I use bleach in a stenner also. My TA is 90 and just like you my ph will creep up to 8 over the course of a week or so. Over the course of about two years I have brought my TA down from about 250. I have noticed the rise has gotten slower, I'm hoping the TA will find a happy place and the ph will stop rising up to 8.... we'll see I guess.

TA has no real 'range'. It needs to be what it is when your pH stabilizes, depending on your fill water. If you have high TA fill water, you will always have pH rise and need to use acid.

As previously mentioned, if you used to use trichlor (pucks), it had the side effect of lowering pH. Now that you switched to chlorine, that's not happening. It's not that the chlorine is adding something that causes the rise. The rise you describe is pretty normal for most of us, especially if you have a spa spillover or any other aerating element. I was adding acid every week (pH would usually rise to 8.2) and eventually added borates, which have slowed the rise a bit (now just to 7.8 most weeks). My TA seems to have settled in around 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.