Rather ask then guess

Jul 26, 2017
Nahunta, GA
I want to make sure that im understanding everything I have read.

To maintain my pool properly I should only need these chemicals.

Bleach
Baking Soda
Borax
Muriatic Acid
CH Reducer

and I know to watch the math and go slow things like that. but I just want to make sure im not adding, or missing something.

TY

I want to make sure that im understanding everything I have read.

To maintain my pool properly I should only need these chemicals.

Bleach
Baking Soda
Borax
Muriatic Acid
CH Reducer

and I know to watch the math and go slow things like that. but I just want to make sure im not adding, or missing something.

TY

Welcome!

The only item we know you need is chlorine. After that, it depends on test results. And the strips you have are not accurate.

Look into getting a proper test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Best value for the residential pool owner.

Take care.

Roger on test kit have one otw

And ch was calcium reducer.

We have very hard water
So bad when I added ph up went milk

Drained it as small enough to do and cheaper power vs chemicals

Power to run water pump

I have just refilled it yesterday and shocked it using a Clorox product.

I drained 3/4 of pool. And it’s a little cloudy. Milk colored

But can’t test cause shock kills strips right now

But I wanted to make sure no other chems needed

Despite the name it doesn't reduce calcium, it binds with it to make it not show up on tests nor precipitate out as scale. It is very much still in your water and unless you continue adding the maintenance dose your CH readings will go right back up to where they were.

You will find as you read more on TFP that this is not unusual. There are a lot of misleading products on the market. Most work but aren't needed, some don't do what they say, and some cause problems worse than the ones they are marketed to correct (I'm looking at you Yellowtrine).

Ok. That makes since cause why would you need to retreat once a week if your water is now soft or without calcium

What’s the best way

Ok forget that
What’s the best advice on chems or rather what’s the main thing to start keeping or getting in range. So I don’t domino everything else

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The one thing I noticed missing from your shopping list was cya/cyranric acid/stabiliser, gotta have at least 30 ppm for your FC to stick around, probably closer to 40 with this heat.
So when you get your kit, check your cya, then balance your FC according to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Head for the upper limit of target, and check every evening for a bit to determine your FC drain per day.
Another number to pay attention to is your PH, keep PH and FC in balance.
CH in an ABG vinyl pool, hmm yeah ok it might mess up your equipment but ch is kind of meaningless in vinyl pools.
Intex makes an affordable unit that does the swg thing, I would suggest getting comfortable with the above for a week or two then making the jump.

Your fill water has high sulfur? That might make using a SWCG problematic. We need a member with greater knowledge of chemistry around sulfur.

I know that high sulfates in your water are a definite no-no for SWCG.

Hope that helps.

Sulfur should be oxidized to sulfate.

Very high sulfates combined with high calcium can cause calcium sulfate scale.

What is the calcium level?

What is the sulfur concentration in the fill water?

Let me just explain it like this

Fill bath tub up and water is green not slightly but st Patrick’s Day

Take a shower and house smells like eggs

If I were to give you a reading it would be in the upper what the heck spectrum

And as for cya. Yes I did forget to post it but did have it on my list.

Where we live people have well water
Goes pump to aireator to house.

We don’t have aireator.

But to try to help that issue when I fill the pool I shoot water high in air. And run my waterfall

Sucks bad.

If you are thirsty and go right to the tap for water. Bless your heart.

We have a pure water tap for making fresh water and such.

Anyhow I think you guys get the sulfer level at this point

So.
Looking online found these $124 metaltrap filters. You put it on end of hose for people like me who speak redneck. And want them there a pool ma bob

Removes this that other

However I have a standard filter at my pump. Takes a cartridge
So idea popped into head

Wife wanted to add a second filter next to it so we can get rid of even more.

Now I understand it’s not gonna get rid of a gas but will help with a ton of other things

But decided on an idea

I went out and got a 1 micron premium filter put it in pump house filter case

Got another case and a .5 micron expensive culligan filter and simply bought an adapter to allow a garden hose to hook to it.

Got it filling pool
Took a cup went out there and got me a glass
Tastes great
Smells like 2 hard boiled eggs.
But before smelled like a chicken farm and pickled corn chips mixed with taint sweat and sour cream.

However. Filling the pool I have it high up so it’s aireating as it enters.

Then when done I can put the case out by pump as wife wanted

Anyhow way cheaper then the metaltrap. And ya it may not be the ultimate perfect water. But I guarantee it’s gonna help if at min 50%.

Total cost was $60 ish. And the filter was $40 of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.