Pump is finally fixed and there's sooooo much algae!

Jul 27, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
After moving into a new rental house in March and being so excited about our new pool we learned the pool had lots of issues. Four months later, the pump got a new motor and we are back in business. We were adding chemicals to keep the water blue but without circulation we started getting algae. We now have a months worth of algae in the pool. I have been using the brush to scrub what I can and I am throwing shock in the pool daily. Now that I can see the bottom (water is still cloudy) I'm going to vacuum tonight and probably tomorrow. We are keeping the pump on 24/7 until the water is clear and we are adding shock every evening. Am I going over board or am I on the right track? Did I miss any steps? My kids have been waiting since May to jump in this pool so we are really trying to get it ready. Please tell me there's a light at the end of the tunnel because this algae is killing me right now!

Oh! I'm not sure what size the pool is but it's about 5 ft deep and it's an above ground pool that was buried in the ground. It's about the size of a regular in-ground pool.

Welcome to the forum!

There is light at the end of that tunnel!

But -- how are you testing your water? What products are you putting in your pool? You need to be following a SLAM protocol as outlined in Pool School.
To do that, you need a proper test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Let us know your pool water test results and how you got them.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.