Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing accurately for salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing accurately for salt

Hi,
    What is the best way to test for salt? Should I trust pool stores with their electronic meter or are salt test strips considered more accurate? One pool store (Leslie's) uses test strips because they said it's more accurate than a meter. If the strips are better which brand should I buy?
    Thanks
    21K - marcite - inground - Autopilot 48 SWG - 240 sq ft Pentair filter - 2hp 2sp Pentair pump - solar heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing accurately for salt

order aquacheck test strips from tftestkits.net. Most folks on here say they're the best, and easiest to read.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by splash
    Hi,
    What is the best way to test for salt? Should I trust pool stores with their electronic meter or are salt test strips considered more accurate? One pool store (Leslie's) uses test strips because they said it's more accurate than a meter. If the strips are better which brand should I buy?
    Thanks
    strips are a chemical test for chloride ions, meters are reading conductivity of the total dissolved solids and have an adjustment curve built in to convert that into PPM sodium chloride. Meters are often affected by the temperature of the sample and if they are not calibrated against a standard solution on a regular basis will not provide accurate results.
    Chaap meters almost never gie accuate results and many pool stores use inexpensive handheld salt meters.

4. Back To Top    #4

OK. I guess the Aquacheck test strips are the best ones to purchase. i just wanted to make sure I have the right amount of salt for my Autopilot SWG
    Thanks
    21K - marcite - inground - Autopilot 48 SWG - 240 sq ft Pentair filter - 2hp 2sp Pentair pump - solar heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear

meters are reading conductivity of the total dissolved solids and have an adjustment curve built in to convert that into PPM sodium chloride. Meters are often affected by the temperature of the sample and if they are not calibrated against a standard solution on a regular basis will not provide accurate results.
    Chaap meters almost never gie accuate results and many pool stores use inexpensive handheld salt meters.
    Maybe thats why some of these SWG meters show low salt so much for folks with vinyl pools. If the CH is pretty low, like say 80-100, the SWG is not able to compensate and show "good" salt readings when in actuality there is plenty of SODIUM chloride, but not enough CALCIUM chloride to compensate for the curve.

Thoughts?