Back fill with dirt or something else?

Jul 26, 2017
Oak Grove, MO
As you can see in the picture I've got about a 12" deep trench to fill around about half the pool. For best results long term what can I backfill it with? I have dirt left from the excavation left around it but I get conflicting info about back filling with dirt. Is it ok to use this dirt and fill the trench and be ok for the long haul? I'm ok with leaving the trench even though it's a bit unsightly.

Attachments

• IMG_9241.jpg
    IMG_9241.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 108
It would be best to fill with crushed rock fill in the bottom of the trench, then with several inches of topsoil if you plan on replanting grass right up to the pool wall. Backfilling with soil will eventually settle and you'll have a slope toward the pool. Evenly sized 3/8" to 3/4" stone is generally the best fill to use.

Your trench is fairly shallow so not likely a deal breaker to not fill with rock, but I would do so anyway.

It would be best to fill with crushed rock fill in the bottom of the trench, then with several inches of topsoil if you plan on replanting grass right up to the pool wall. Backfilling with soil will eventually settle and you'll have a slope toward the pool. Evenly sized 3/8" to 3/4" stone is generally the best fill to use.

Your trench is fairly shallow so not likely a deal breaker to not fill with rock, but I would do so anyway.

Do I need to use something to shield the wall from the rock? I wouldn't think so but just want to be sure.

I just reread this and wanted to make sure I understand that filling the entire 12" of trench with rock is the better way if I'm not worried about having grass to the edge?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.