Double Slamming

BenR

Jul 25, 2017
Eugene
Hi,

I've been following TFP procedures since we got out pool about 4 years ago. For the last 3, including this current year, I have slammed to the pool to completion in the late spring/early summer. Somewhere around the end of July, early August, I get some algae creeping back into the pool. The first couple years I assumed it was because I was lax on adding chlorine(bleach) for a couple of days when it was quite warm out. This year I have been very vigilant on checking FC daily along with the other numbers recommended on this site.

Current numbers are:
PH: 7.5 (pre slam)
CH: 75
TA: 100-110
CYA: 40

FC: now during slam, above 16.

Now for my questions:
1. How long should I be running my filter daily? (Usually runs 3-4hrs/day)
2. We use a blue, bubble wrap type of solar cover and take it on and off daily or so for swimming. Could this be contributing to algae growth?
3. How much does warm water affect algae growth, if any, when proper amount of FC is held?

Thanks for any help. I don't mind doing the second slam in the summer, but would like to eliminate it, obviously.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

• Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing
Algae can't grow if there's enough FC for your CYA level and make sure you are brushing. Consider that your CYA might be higher than you think it is or that your FC has dropped below the minimum for a CYA 40. Try setting your target FC 2-3 ppm higher so you never go below the min for your FC. Nobody will notice a higher FC and it's safe to swim up to shock FC for a given CYA level. The cover could be contributing if not properly cleaned.

Something's off for you to be SLAMing so many times over the past 3 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.