Looking for Recommendations

Jun 30, 2017
Manlius, NY
Hi All,
I read through the sticky and have been reading reviews for weeks, but I can't seem to settle on what cleaner would be best for my pool. I think I need to get a robotic one based on the pool size, despite the higher price tags. My pool is a "Mountain Lake" design that is large, 24' x 44'. It's 8.5 feet deep in the deep end. Because of the shape there are some sloped sides and weird curves to deal with. See pic below.

We don't get a lot of leaves in the pool, as the wind blows the leaves from those trees in the opposite direction, fortunately. But we do get a lot of pollen and small stuff that needs to be vacuumed 1-2 x per week. I'm just getting sick of doing it.

It's also important to note that we have a vinyl liner that has some ripples in the bottom (I was told in my area they generally don't do fully cement bottoms, so there is some shifting that happens below the liner and that's why it's not a perfectly smooth bottom you would expect). So I want something that will clean well, but not rip a hole in the liner if it comes upon a small bump here or there.

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9014.jpg
    IMG_9014.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 109
Wow, what a pretty pool~ My first question is do you have electricity run down near the pool? Most of the robots have about a 60' cord so if you have an outlet some where in the middle of your pool deck area, robots are ideal!

I personally wonder if the above recommended cleaner is a bit overkill for your pool? I do love my Maytronics Dolphin Discovery (sold thru Doheney's) for sure, but a top of the line M400-500 seems a bit robust for a vinyl lined pool with a few wrinkles on the bottom? I would be afraid of the device causing problems because it is "too strong" on those wrinkled areas?

I would suggest the Maytronics Active 20, or S200 or Dolphin Discovery by Doheny's... they're all the same device but different colors.

Best place to buy dohenys discovery/s200

Maddie :flower:

Thank you for the recent recommendations! I was hoping someone would chime in before I had to BUMP the conversation for more input. I am glad to hear that someone else thinks the M400-500 might be a bit overkill, because when I looked them up I got a little bit of sticker shock, I'll admit. Color doesn't matter to me, I just want to make sure it will work well and not tear the liner, as you mentioned.

Will this version do well with sloped sides and lots of curves? There is an outlet that you can see back there behind the diving board...unfortunately at the end and not in the middle. It's about 7 feet from the pool so 60 feet of cord should be enough since my pool is 44 feet long from end to end. Does the Discovery have 60 feet of cord?

Anyone else have any suggestions before i really break down and buy something ;)

Thanks!

I also have a Polaris 280 and I'm happy with it. It's a pretty simple design, ie. not much to break.

It doesn't require an electrical hookup, as it runs off water pressure, but it does require a booster pump. My pool is 9' deep with a pretty steep drop off and it has no problem getting up it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.