George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have being trying to get my SWG system to produce chlorine but not sure it is working. When on the Cell Reversing light comes on consistently but the Cell On light only comes on sporadically and when it is on the Service light is also illuminated. I have seen a Code 120 come on at times as well. I have replaced the Sensor and tried cleaning the cell but the conditions did not change. The cell is an old rectangular one and there does not seem to be a replacment for. I am thinking of scrapping the system and going back to Chlorine if I can not get the system to work consistently. Any suggestions on what else I can try to achieve this?

Hey! You can test the salt level with a drop test like the Taylor K-1766 to determine your salt level. Then, you can get a plastic pitcher and try to get it full of water right in front of the return, so it is fresh from your SWG. Test that water for CL. If the SWG is your only method of getting CL in your pool, and you can test for the presence of CL, then your generator is working somewhat. I'm rather surprised there are no replacements for your cell.

I think it is working g somewhat is the pool store measured a CL of 2 however I still notice that the Cell-on light is coming on intermittently. I will continue to monitor the situation but think i am in for a cell or system replacement in the near future. As for finding a replacement cell I have looked on all the on-line pool stores as well as Amazon and E-bay with no luck in finding a 2 port replacement cell. Maybe someone here has a used or new cell for sale.

There isn't a direct replacement for a 2-port cell, you will need to get a 3-port cell and do some plumbing work.

Inspect the DC power cord to the cell for damage. That could very well be the problem.

I have a feeling the cell has worn out on one side of the polarity hence the cell working off and on.

It might be best to replace the entire system because yours is a very old design and replacement parts are getting harder to find as you learned about the cell itself. Check EBay out for parts.

Thanks for your replies and advice. Leslie's is recommending that I purchase a replacement system and is recommending a Jacquize SWG system. I believe theyown this product line now and are offering a 5 year warranty on the Cell and three years on the rest of the system. They are also offering free installation thru 7/29. I never have never heard of this product though the warranty is appealing. Should I consider this or is it too new to the market and purchase a more known brand?

That's your call not mine to make.

That system is equivalent to CircuPool SJ40 which sells for $740 online. They are both very basic systems with limited controls and troubleshooting them is more difficult compared to a Hayward AquaRite.

The warranty, free install and local service from Leslie's make it nice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.