Brand new to this!!

Jul 14, 2017
Kathleen, Georgia
Hello All!!

I am a brand new pool owner. I went with a SWG because everything I read said it was less maintenance. A week ago, I notice algae on the bottom curves of the pool. I used hth super algae guard 60. Algae cleared and water is crystal clear. 10 days later and water is still clear with no sign of algae growth (no slickness either)

It fixed my problem but prompted me to look further into maintaining the water. I bought a Taylor K-2006 test kit. The results are:

FC: .2 ppm
pH: 7.2
CH: 40
TA: 40
CYA: 0

Poolmath tells me (with these levels) that I need to add the following:

96 oz. bleach
5.5 lbs baking soda
7.8 lbs stabilizer

Again, I am a beginner and have never had a pool. I have read a lot of information on this site.....which is AWESOME and has sooooooo much GREAT information. This just seems like a LOT to add!! Does this sound normal/right? Do I add it all at the same time? Is it really necessary if my water is clear?

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to TFP!

Pool Math only tells you what to add after you set a "goal" for each line

What are your goals?

Do not add anything other than some liquid chlorine (bleach) until we see what your goals were.

You need bleach now, your FC is way too low and that is why you have algae. You should get FC up immediately and maintain it about 5-6 ppm for now.

Get some stabilizer in there right away too. The sun is burning off your FC as fast as the salt system can produce it. I would target about 40ppm CYA right away to protect your chlorine from the sun. Pour granular stabilizer in an old sock, tie it off and hang it in front of the return jet to dissolve. Squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissolve faster. You will add more later but first you need to make sure you don't have an algae bloom started.

When you get the pool stabilized you should do an overnight chlorine loss test. This is how you verify that algae is not present. Test the pool after dark and again before the sun comes up. If you have lost more than 1ppm then you will need to SLAM and get rid of it before raising CYA further.

You probably need some baking soda too, I would only target about 60-70 on alkalinity for now.

Thanks so much for the guidance!

My goals are (as recommended by TFP):

Vinyl with SWG:

FC 3-5
pH 7.2-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 0-300 (Don't add)
CYA 70-80

but I will take into consideration any advice given!! Thanks so much!!
OK, for now let's "adjust" your goals

FC 3, you need to add bleach to get it there

CYA 30, lets make sure with an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test that a SLAM Process is not in your future. A SLAM Process at CYA 30 is easier than at 60.

TA 60 for now

PH 7.2

What does it want you to add with those?

OK, for now let's "adjust" your goals

FC 3, you need to add bleach to get it there

CYA 30, lets make sure with an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test that a SLAM Process is not in your future. A SLAM Process at CYA 30 is easier than at 60.

TA 60 for now

PH 7.2

What does it want you to add with those?

With the goals you suggested it tells me to add:

81 oz. bleach
61 oz. baking soda
52 oz. stabilizer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.