Dog Days of Summer - How to keep FC levels up

May 21, 2017
Brentwood
First a quick testimonial/thank you - So I have been putting into practice everything that has been suggested here and the results have been amazing!
Since I got bought my test kit this spring and worked to get my pool levels to where it should be (only took a couple of weeks), the pool looks awesome and I have saved $100's of dollars from running to the pool store and buying what they said I needed or trying to guess when using the test strips and just trying my best. I cant image the mess or expense I would be having now in the summer months without this.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes!

OK, now that we are into the hot summer days this past couple of weeks I am starting to notice that is difficult to keep my FC in range (3-5) for my pool. I have been turning my SWG levels up and it is now at max setting and is running on high speed 24 hours a day. Also the pool has been heavily used the past 2-3 weeks also.

I had to add some water to the pool yesterday and I ran a full test this morning and my CYA level is down a little so I will be adding some stabilizer today and a little salt.

So my question is, am I doing something wrong or it just because of the high usage and high temps? Should I be added a little something to help keep the FC levels up? Water still looks great, but I feel that I am living on the edge.

FYI - Here was my full results from the morning.
FC - 2.5
CC - 0
CH 275
TA 60
CYA 50
PH 7.2
Salt 3800

Also my water temp is at 90 this morning, not sure if that matters at all.

just because of the high usage and high temps?
Either one of those is enough to increase FC loss. Put them together and you're seeing what you'll get! Supplement the SWG production with some liquid bleach along. CYA level at 70 or 80 for your SWG is recommended.

gmp,

I had never heard of your salt system, so I looked it up.. It appears to me that running at 100% it should increase your FC by about 6.4 ppm per day..

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm per day, and with heavy use maybe a little more... Still, I would think it would keep up with your demand.

The first thing that I would want to know is there something consuming your FC other than the heat and normal usage.. To do that you need to run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT... Here is how... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Assuming you pass the OCLT then your only option is to keep running the SWCG at 100% 24/7 and supplement with liquid chlorine/bleach to maintain the necessary FC level.

You do not have to run your pump at full speed, as pump speed has no effect on chlorine output, as long as the flow switch is being closed. I would run the pump as slow as possible and still produce chlorine.

Raising your CYA to 80 will also help with you chlorine loss.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Your SWCG is rated for a 25000 gallon pool, which is what you have. So running it full out in the height of summer should be expected.

When you need to replace it, get one rated for 40000 gallon or more and you will not have to run it so much.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.