Chlorine Drop Test

So all morning I have been testing my water. This morning the chlorine drop test turned a tiny pink so I went thru with the testing. Pool math kept saying add 2 quarts, add 2 quarts, I would do this and retest every 2 hours. I finally just poured in a gallon of chlorine from Ace. I went to town and just got back, tested clorine....no yellow at all and now the drop test doesn't turn pink. What the hack is happening to my chlorine??? New pool....

I have the TF-100 and I do have some test results but do i need to post them?
Yes please. It helps to see the results posted as follows:

FC
CC
CYA
PH
TA
CH

Now for the FC test, please use the FAS-DPD (powder & drops). It should go like this: Use a 10ml water sample with one generous scoop of powder and mix. It should turn a Barbie pink (chlorine is present). Count drops and mix until clear. Multiply drop count by 0.5 (divide by 2). Example: 14 drops = FC of 7.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Isnt it 2 level scoops of powder
Depends on the expected FC level and the water sample size. For 10ml of water at normal FC levels, 1 scoop is plenty. At higher FC levels or if you are using the 25ml of water, then 2 scoops is likely needed.

You can not use too much powder, but too little can impact accurate results.

- - - Updated - - -

What if it doesn't turn Barbie pink but pale pink???

Then the FC is very low ... especially if the OTO chlorine test is not a dark yellow.

Get that FC up to 7 PPM by adding 216 oz of 8.25% bleach or 178 oz of 10% liquid chlorine immediately! Your chlorine is WAY too low and you are risking an algae outbreak.

If it's telling you to only add 2 quarts, make sure your pool gallons are entered correctly at the top. You should get the above numbers if you enter 22000 gallons and a .5 to 7 free chlorine (FC) goal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC .5
CC 0
CYA 40
PH 7.5
TA 130 or 140
CH 175

I am using the pool math app? Shouldn't I just plug these in and it tell me what to add?? Each time it just says 2 quarts...

Yes that's what you should do. That quantity makes no sense unless you didn't update the quantity of water your
pool contains.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. What Dean said

Thanks for the numbers. Also don't assume the strength of your chlorine. Once you have all your numbers correct in pool math and add the recommended amount of your Chlorine, double check your FC ppm and if it's it is still too low add enough to get it up to where you need it and confirm with testing.

FC .5
CC 0
CYA 40
PH 7.5
TA 130 or 140
CH 175

I am using the pool math app? Shouldn't I just plug these in and it tell me what to add?? Each time it just says 2 quarts...
When you're entering numbers into poolmath you need to be sure to press the enter key or return or whatever you may call it on your phone or computer. If you had a previous entry and it said add two quarts and then you test later and enter a new number it can stay with the same suggestion to add two quarts because you haven't presser enter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.