I can't get rid of the algae...

Jul 18, 2017
Huntingdon, PA
I'm done with the pool store!!! I've had a pool for a few years & just followed their advice. The first couple years were ok. Last year I ended up with really high CYA & had to replace 1/2 the water. I haven't gotten the pool crystal clear yet this year; more often than not, it is green. The pool store keeps telling me my "numbers look good." I just bought a Taylor K2006 test kit.

Here are my current readings:
FC - 5
PH - 7.4
TA - 140
CH - 390
CYA - 180

I know I need to replace water to lower the CYA. Should I do anything about the algae in the mean time? Any advice is appreciated.

Add a gallon of bleach a day until you drain. You will not be able to SLAM until you drain.

Check with the Above Ground pools folks on this forum about how far you can drain. I think you need to leave at least a foot of water in your pool to keep it from shifting.

Once you refill, SLAM away!!!

You definitely need to keep at least a foot or 2 of water in the pool so the liner doesn't pull away or shrink. You really need to remove more water to clear your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.