16x32 radiant in Pennsylvania

Mar 6, 2017
Olanta, pa
Hi guys, I've been following the forums for about a year while we debated what pool to buy. We looked into optimum, fox, radiant, and doughboy. We ended up buying a 16x32 oval radiant pool with a walk in step. We're making it semi inground. We hired an excavator to do the digging. He did go a little overboard and dug too deep. But my husband's thankful we paid for the excavating instead of him. Lol

We got the bricks placed and the walls up yesterday!

Excuse me for a few while I just sit here and look at your wonderful view!! WOW! That is so pretty!

Okay back to your pool......that is a lot of digging! I bet your hubby IS glad he did not have to do it by hand! When they added back the overdug area did they do it a little bit at a time and water and compact it as they went?

Kim:kim:

Thank you, we just left it the way it is. I guess they discussed a plan to dig and make it level for a patio above where the pool is but he said he can dig farther back and do a retaining wall?

He's working on the steps today.
n

Praying he's doing everything right since he's doing this job solo. I have sent him lots of links to other pool builds on this site. ;)

Sand and concrete will be next....

PA GIrl- What a small world! We're by the lake in Curwensville!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, what a view!
That was me last May, any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask. It is all fresh in my mind.

My wife and I did it 95% on our own.

We're preparing For the concrete to arrive Thursday. My husband just asked me, "We need an 8" barrier for the concrete. How do you suggest we do that?" I'm stumped. I googled and searched on here, what did you do for your concrete collar?

That would be called coping to help you search. You can use bricks, stepping stones, composite boards, poured coping, etc. Let me know if this helps. You can use the white box above to search on TFP or go to *shudder* pinterest and get lost in there looking for ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The concrete comes tomorrow for the collar around the pool and the two "footers" that are in the inside. How did you get the concrete in those footers? My husbands a bit worried about how to get it in there since the pool walls are all up.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm I don't know :( I hope someone else that does know reads this. I will look around to see if I can find someone who does. I will also pick my husband's brain to see if he has any ideas.

Shoot and share a current pic so that will give us something to work with.

I'll try to find a picture.
Anyway, the ditch for the footing should extend a few inches outside of the pool walls. The concrete will flow right into the ditches where the cinder blocks are.
Hopefully you have the 10 heavy gauge sheet metal pieces screwed to the top of the aluminum supports that reach under the pool on the inside. This helps prevent the concrete from filling the inside of the pool. I also added 2x6s on the inside as an extra barrier, the concrete will want to equalize, so block the inside of the pool at the height of those aluminum arms.

bcb612df10888c139b4eb9fd07914a3f.jpg

See the right side, the ditch is open so the concrete will flow inside the pool.

Now look to the upper left where the cinder blocks are. You can see one of the aluminum supports peaking in about 12". There should be some heavy duty sheet metal that you screw on the tops of those supports to prevent the concrete from overflowing into the interior of the pool. It should just fill the ditch and surround the cinder blocks. Use more wood or anything you can find to put some weight on that sheet metal. You do not want the concrete to be above those aluminum arms on the interior of the pool.

Yes, it did help. Thank you so much! I was a bit late reading it, they delivered at 7am but my husband said we should be good. He said he didn't put the plates on because he didn't see it in the guide but he said he did make sure the concrete didn't come up inside.

The concrete trucks chute thing went right into the "footers".

Yes, it did help. Thank you so much! I was a bit late reading it, they delivered at 7am but my husband said we should be good. He said he didn't put the plates on because he didn't see it in the guide but he said he did make sure the concrete didn't come up inside.

The concrete trucks chute thing went right into the "footers".

Ok! You are on your way now. This was a major step forward.
So have you thought about the piping? There is a great thread on this site with all kinds of scientific calculations for pipe size, check it out. From my understanding it is all about low pressure and high flow to make the pump as efficient as possible.

You need to find NSF pressure rated PVC pipe and fittings, not drainage rated.
The idea is to turn the water over at least once a day. So you have close to a 13,000 gallon pool. That requires a flow of 20GPM for 13 hours. To make your pump work effortlessly, consider the 3" supply and 2 1/2" return piping. Now, that size NSF rated pipe is not so easy to get at a reasonable cost. So I was able to purchase 2" and 1 1/2" NSF rated pipe at Home Depot. For the supply from the skimmer to the pump, I ran two 2" pipes. The Hayward skimmer provided with the pool has two connections, a 2" and a 1 1/2". I used both. For the 1 1/2" Connection I used a 1 1/2" x 2" coupling. So now I have two 2" pipes running backs to the pump to supply the water.

For the returns, I ran two 1 1/2" pipes from the discharge port of the chlorine generator to the pool. I bought 3 extra eyeball return ports(total of 4 return ports). One return pipe supplies two eyeballs, the other pipe supplies the other two eyeballs.

This configuration assures that there is minimal head pressure on the pump and plenty of unobstructed supply water on the suction side of the pump.

At 18 GPM my gauges never register pressure. However all four return eyeballs have a lot of water flowing. 135 watts is all my Pentair variable flow pump needs to consume. That means low electric bills and a long lasting pump.

Do your research. You will find that 1 eyeball return will not provide a low pressure/high flow scenario.

We've been taking it slow, but my parents came over yesterday to watch our little ones while I assisted my husband with the liner. We put down the happy bottom, coves, and liner. We're just concerned with the liner reaching the steps. My husbands thinking positive that the water will help push it toward the steps but I'm very nervous about the gap.

The rest looks great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.