Cloudy water for 2 weeks with no algae on walls...help

9pm fc 29. A bit high. The shallow end looks delicious, but I can't see the head of the Phillips screws on the drain cover. We will do oclt with 10ml tomorrow. And i shall order more reagent since I will soon run out. I borrowed a steel brush.

Darn. Oclt=22 and I'm running low on the reagent. I hope that I can find it locally somewhere.

It is possible but rare that local pool stores will carry the reagents that you need. I can't get the fas-dpd nor the cya test locally.

Tftestkits and Amazon are my go to places. I just reordered some reagents from tftestkits yesterday.

You can donate to this website (tax deductible) you will be emailed a discount coupon for tftestkits.

Dang if you lost 9 FC during your oclt you still have something. I'm thinking you weren't brushing much in the beginning so the recent brushing knocked some algae loose that ate chlorine last night.

Is water clarity still getting better?

I repeated the cya test, outside with the sun on my back, and using the same sample various times, and I got 70,80,90,70, and 70. So I will go with the 70 value.

With an OCLT loss still of 7 and going way back to this post above, I would have picked the middle # myself 80. It wouldn't change much but your target FC would be 31 vs 28. I'm sure others will comment but you may want to maintain your FC a little higher.

As for reagents I used amazon which is usually the cheapest but if you buy from a seller that isn't offering prime I have waited over a week. I'm not sure how fast the turn around is on the tftestkits.net but it seems from others posts they usually seem to get the kits in under a week (but I don't know) . Leslies has them on their website but I don't think you can find them in the stores and they are the highest price.

an update..good morning.
I was away over the weekend, so the testing duties fell to my wife. She is aware of slowing down the drops as suggested here so that a full drop falls. We found testing reagent locally of Porpoise brand called OTO Chlorine/Bromine test, so she used that for our testing. She also brushed daily
The numbers are a bit frustrating and bizarre from a test yesterday: 30, 22, and 11 from 3 different samples.
The water is crystal clear and I can see the drain cover beautifully. This morning FC was at 30, and I will just continue to monitor 1 more than with another oclt to see if we can end the slam.

The water is crystal clear and I can see the drain cover beautifully

That's an important thing, I believe I've read the OTO test is not adequate for the chlorine levels during a SLAM. Hovever I have not used the test and can't seem to find it specifically but that may be why your results are all over the place.

Do you have any DPD reagent left or at least on the way?

That's an important thing, I believe I've read the OTO test is not adequate for the chlorine levels during a SLAM. Hovever I have not used the test and can't seem to find it specifically but that may be why your results are all over the place.

Do you have any DPD reagent left or at least on the way?

I will order some today as I was unable to do so while I was away.
Why wouldn't it be adequate for a SLAM? We're simply measuring chlorine levels frequently, no?

As far as I know only the DPD test is accurate at the SLAM FC levels. It's listed as a requirement on the SLAM page. As that's the only test I've used I'm not sure specifically why other tests are not good but I've seen many posts that state that.

1st lines item of requirements "You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as I know only the DPD test is accurate at the SLAM FC levels. It's listed as a requirement on the SLAM page. As that's the only test I've used I'm not sure specifically why other tests are not good but I've seen many posts that state that.

1st lines item of requirements "You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test"

Understood. I also need phenol red to test the ph, and I see 2 options: Phenol red (r0014) and Phenol red (r0014). WHich one is correct?

Yes the DPD test only tests to like 5 or 10 FC which is way below your slam level.

Glad to hear your pool is clearing up. I would get more reagent and check your oclt and cc's. both tests are important to the slam. Water can be clear but still have stuff growing, these two tests confirm your water is good. Nothing worse to end the slam early and have the water cloud up in a week or two.

An update.. Reagents are on their way, so I have no way to test. As a precaution, I've been adding a small dose of chlorine daily to compensate for any possible loss. The water remains crystal clear, and we brush daily. Once the reagents arrive, I will continue testing, obviously. Once the slam is over, do I transition to the other tests of ph, alkalinity, ta, and etc? Do i measure the cya after the slam is over? I last measured it 2 weeks ago, but it shouldn't have changed, right? I haven't added anything to increase it.

Yes add some bleach daily!! Pools lose between 2-4 ppm FC every day

Hopefully when your reagents arrive you will pass the oclt and cc test.

After your slam test and adjust FC daily. I would check ph a few times a week then alk and ch weekly. Cya every few months. After you test your pool for a few months you will get to know it and know which tests you need to do frequently and which ones you don't. Some people can add chlorine every few days some need to every day. it depends on the pool.

The absolute most important thing is don't let your FC drop below the min per the FC/cya chart!!!

And good job on clearing your pool up!!

Basictek and Topher.. Thank you for your words and constant guidance through this. For years I got by with store water testing and my pool was clear and clean. Now that I faced my cya of 80, and took control of the testing, I feel empowered to refuse to go to the store for testing. Sure, I'll go for acid and other potential chemicals. Seeing my daughter enjoy the tests was the push I needed to switch to self-testing. Your constant guidance and education also pushed me to ask and learn and see that this giant chemistry set of a pool is manageable and those chemicals are interrelated. Again, thank you.

No worries, glad I could help. It sounds like you have it under control. Just keep the FC up and your pool should stay crystal clear all year.

You commented before that daily testing got old for you in the past. Depending on your budget you can look into a stenner pump for bleach or an swg, either of these will get it on autopilot.

I looked at stenner pumps last week as a curiosity since I had never heard of them. I have an inline puck chlorinator that may be useless until my cya decreases. Can you kindly attach a picture of what that pump looks like so i can see how it connects and feeds the chlorine?

Here's a picture of my stenner that shows the injection point... setting it up took me all of about 1/2 hr ... then a couple of days of testing, and adjusting the run times to get it just right... couldn't be easier.

kxDtEHb.jpg

thanks Ron
The black box to the right is the pump, but where is chlorine coming from? Where is it stored? And that pump's run times obviously should coincide with the pool pump's times, no?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.