How about a user equipment recommendation section/thread?

Jul 8, 2017
De Soto, MO
As a newbie, I'd like to get the communities input on quality pool manufacturers, pump manufacturers, recommended filters , etc. Maybe even recommended construction methods, etc.

There's a ton of great info on this site, but you have to mine it pretty deep to find what you need. The chemistry section is great! I'd like to see a section of equipment recommendations, too.

I am a member of similar forums for African Cichlids Aquariums, Backyard Chickens, and Astronomy, and they all have equipment sections with recommendations.

Thanks!

Cheese/Jon

We do have sections about equipment and construction. There are recommendations to be found in there.

Have you tried doing a search in the white box? It will keep the results inside TFP. See if that helps.

Welcome Jon, to TFP! :wave: When I started reading TFP, I had the same thoughts and suggestions you have. The longer I've been around and read, I'm understanding why that wouldn't work as well.

Below I'm offering some points to consider - not meant to argue, but to consider viewing it a different way as I have begun to do.

So many of the topics you mentioned (equipment for example) are changing constantly which would require hours of time to maintain and update - frequently. It would be difficult to have each list perfect in time and information. For me, if I saw such lists, I'd probably stop there. No more research on my own, maybe missing something new from the last month or something old and no longer on the list but available through resell sites. Another point to consider is the differences in regions. So should a specific list be broken down into regions? What about overlapping regions?

Some large manufacturers have great quality control. Others don't; so how would we include the one supervisor who does a great job insuring his product is top notch while another supervisor across the city or state could care less?

Recommended construction methods are often different depending on region because of: weather/climate, materials availability, labor force, traditional skills passed down, skills of the individual builders. No matter how new the technique, you DON'T want a guy using a method he's not comfortable or skilled using. And an experienced worker's older technique might not cut corners. Application such as in pool finishes, gunite, tiling are greatly dependent on the skills of the installers. PebbleTec has a great reputation. But in your area, Wet Edge might have the better installers. Personal and current recommendations from posters in specific areas seems to work better; its a more direct and friendlier human-to-human contact, and it's more efficient.

I'm not an old timer on TFP, but from 28 years of teaching public school and reading from the experts here, I have seen the value of 2 other points which I think are even more valuable than the ones above.

1. All of the TFP Moderators, Experts, In the Industry people, and Guides are strictly volunteer. I think their time is better spent answering people's questions personally with individualized attention for the specific needs and circumstances. As I'm still learning about my pool and others', I really appreciate the time they take with me. I see the gift of time and attention eroding these days (yes, I'm old and sound old). It makes me feel valued and warm/fuzzy to come somewhere I'm not quickly brushed off no matter how trivial my question or how obvious (to an expert) the answer.

2. Most importantly, to my teaching instinct, is the running TFP philosophy: If guided patiently with easy-to-read directions and explanations, a Pool Owner will become confident, eager, and capable of caring for their pool by themselves - and maybe a little free support from TFP! Plus, they will enjoy sparkly clean and safe water with family and friends, and actually save quite a few bucks at the same time! That's a remarkable deal. We volunteers give as much info as we can, but encouraging people to do their own research is quite empowering which builds that base of confidence. "I can find the answer myself or go ask TFP if I can't find it myself." That's what Kim just did. Hand them fish, or teach them to fish? We do hand out a lot of fish, especially when the question is tough or complicated to even put into words for research. Then we encourage people to grow in their knowledge and skills.

Finally, to take the time for the upkeep of recommended lists, it would require paying someone or lose out on volunteer response hours. I admire TFP for keeping the site ad free and free to any person with questions. There are a lot of costs in running such a large website. It has a lot to do with technology (bandwidths? or something like that, and probably other techno wizardry I know nothing about). That's where "Supporting Members" come in through their membership donation (TFP is a 501c organization). With that membership, people get discounts on test kits through the TFTestkits (not owned or profitted by TFP), more photo storage space, and a shiny new badge under your member name with each post! And THAT is a ONE TIME membership dues with 3 different levels (the lower one about the cost of a family of 4 to eat at Wendy's). I don't see that often anymore. But it's NOT required. If hiring people to do things unrelated to answering questions, then a website free of ads and optional supporting membership would sadly go by the wayside.

This probably wouldn't have changed my mind when I first came to TFP, but it might have helped me see a different perspective a little sooner. I hope it helps you!

Now, what else can I do for you, today!!! (says the eager new volunteer....)

Take care, and we're very glad you stopped by. Take off your shoes and stay awhile. We also have a lot of fun here, too!
Suz

In general there is very little reason to suggest any one major brand of pool equipment is better than the other. More often than not its more important to pick the brand that functions with the automation or system you already have.

Another major influence on what equipment to get is which brand the pool builder you use is a retailer for. In that case going with the builder you trust is far more important than any trivial difference in the brands of equipment.

I make an effort to not recommend any one brand over another and to focus on how the equipment will perform for the person using it. Such as why they should get a 1hp pump vs a 1.5, or why a 2-speed may be a more economical option than a VS pump. I really think that is part of what is great about the equipment side of this forum is that we really don't care what brand of equipment you have we want you to have the right size and type of equipment to make your pool run as efficient and smoothly as possible.

All good points and I agree with you Suz! I did find some of the things I was looking for by just asking. I wasn't clear in my suggestion - it would be more towards user recommendations. "I recommend XYZ pump mfg in my area because ABC", not a site endorsed page.

I guess you sort of have that - but it has to mined out. But like Suz says, you learn in the process! The key to having a useful forum is activity and response, and this one is great!

Thanks again,

Jon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.