White Water Mold

Jul 11, 2016
Abilene, TX
Can anyone show me what white water mold looks like? I am talking to a friend's father and he has a 32' above ground Baquacil pool and has white foamy stuff in the skimmers and the water is not clear. I'm trying to help him out but know nothing about Baquacil or the white foamy stuff.

I don't have any images I can show you, but it forms in sheets and it looks like whisps of wet toilet paper floating on the water surface. There may or may not be foaming along with the mold. It is not uncommon for Baquacil pools to develop white water mold. Is your friend's dad set on using Baquacil or is he willing to convert to chlorine?

i dont have any pictures either but when i had it, it came out of the return lines in little pieces, say about a 1/4 in by 1/32 inch thick. catchable in a skimmer net but easily disintegrates if you mash it between your fingers. did not foam. did not float either, mine eventually sank to the bottom.

The foam is probably a by-product of algaecide.

My pool being really cloudy (as in cannot make out the liner pattern in the 3 foot shallow end) for two seasons in a row prompted my conversion. I assumed it was white mold. Whether it was or not is moot at this point, because I am never converting back. Check out the link to my conversion in my signature for an example.

The foam has nothing to do with the mold. Zea3 described it accurately. Besides the visible pieces floating in the water, if the tiles or walls feel sort of slippery and yet you really can't see anything, that is also the biofilm that has formed. And, yeah, it will make a pool pretty cloudy in a short time - especially if you do some heavy brushing (which you really have to do in order to try and get rid of it). I'm battling it again this summer but have it under control for the time being and am going to try a new product that is supposed to work well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.