ModPool thoughts? Not sure if its a good idea or not.

Jul 14, 2014
Camas - WA
We have an inground Viking fiberglass pool and spa now... we use a salt water system...and have been "mostly" happy with what we have. But - we are building a new house and most likely a new pool.

I'm taking the lessons learned this first time and hopefully not re-learning on the next go-round.

My wife has fallen in semi-love with the ModPool - its a shipping container - turned into a pool with a window. She likes the idea because it fits in with the style of house and use of materials etc.. that we are building. (Theres lots of industrial features and use of steel beams etc...)

I'd sure like some informed opinions on the ModPool. First... I see some limitations in how you set it up... , Not sure what they line it with, and I'm not familiar with the UV sanitation system. They don't like salt water - probably because it would rust out the container....

Any way - I'm looking for feedback on their product. It may be vaporware at this point. Looks like a small outfit.

I see lots of articles and lots of pictures of a single pool, some of which I question whether there has been some touching up. So I doubt you are going to find any informed opinions when there seems to be, at most, one actual install and one showroom model built.

And there is no such thing as UV sanitation, if it doesn't have chlorine or bromine or biguanide in it then the water isn't sanitized.

The crane and trucking alone will be the cost of a Intex pool, so any notion of a cheap pool cannot be true. Looks like several man hours are needed to convert to a pool, how is this cheap again?

I'm assuming that your already practice tfpc, the window is cool, the pool is small, if you would pursue, get pool only and buy your own equipment with tfpc recommendations.

Clorine also rots steel, all water has salt

Some of these pool look very nice, especially the ones with a fiberglas shell installed. Starting at 20 grand, they come ready to go. I can build one retaining wall and a pad, drop in the pool, and then put up a decorative wall is need be. If I had more land, I'd just drop it in the yard, (which I may end up doing anyway.)

I'm thinking they are vaporware right now... emailing the company gets no real info...just a cookie cutter FAQ with no meat to it.
I've had a crane onsite for a couple months for the house project... $5800 a month - not bad actually. 3-5 days costs as much here.

Their UV sanitation also uses chlorine. I'd sure like to know what they line the container with.

$27k for an above ground 8 x 20 pool with no decking-- seems high priced to me.

They make a lot of claims that compare it to an in ground pool, which seems silly, as it's an above ground pool. "Unlike conventional pools that can take weeks to pour and cure..." Why don't they compare it to other above ground pools? Probably because they say if you order a modpool it will take 6-8 weeks for them to build it, and then they ship it to you, and then when it arrives at your location, it can be ready within a day supposedly.... but... you have to have it placed, then hooked up to electric and gas, then filled, sounds like a busy day... Seems like if they compared this to above ground pools it would lose its luster a bit.

I can't deny that the marketing looks awesome, but the reality seems to be it's a small metal sided above ground pool with a viewing window. They're stretching the positive aspects by comparing it to a different type of pool

Not a ridiculous idea I suppose. My main concern would be salt water on the painted metal exterior and it's likelihood to rust if the paint is compromised, or if the interior surface is compromised. The interior surface is rubber, closest to regular finishes would be AquaBright I suppose. They don't seem to include sanitation via chlorine, so that would need to be amended post purchase one would think. Or talk them into changing the equipment before purchase.

For all they orders they say they have, you'd think there would be more than just pictures of one pool. I suppose there are at least two though, the one in NJ and the owners pool. Super niche product which could be interesting, with a few tweaks, for the right setting. I'd love to see a picture of the equipment pod on the end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are re-purposing shipping containers into all sorts of things. They have a "tiny house" show that used one of those. Really all it is is a steel shipping container that becomes an above ground pool. I don't see why this would have any allure at all. Especially if you are going to bury it. At some point it will rust out. PT Barnum comes to mind....

I really wanted one! I love the idea and the portability but between the price of the pool I wanted and getting it to FL it was like 20k. Plus the site preparation! That’s too expensive for a cool above ground pool for me. Might as well get a simple, modern rectangular in ground done

I wasn't very enthusiastic about these pools in an earlier post. Now they're looking a bit more interesting to me. Yes, it's $30k for an above ground pool, though it does come with all the equipment and a heater, and it has a spa area, and it looks different than an average above ground pool. To me it looks like a fiberglass pool shell put into a container, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

In some parts of the country you can probably build a good in-ground 8 x 20 pool for not much more than $30k, so if you live in a place like Florida, Texas, or Arizona, why bother....

Where I live, an 8 x 20 in ground pool in gunite would cost about $80k, and that's without a spa. I've been taking bids on a 14 x 28 with spa and trying to get it under $130k. Highest bid so far is $170k+

Suddenly these pools look a lot more interesting. If could do the shipping and instal for $10k, which is a big if, it'd be around $40k. There's a lot of compromises sure, but I'd have $90k more in my pocket, so that's something.

"Don't forget to add money to replace all the equipment because it's a good bet it being not acceptable."

Why do you think that? It appears to be mostly pentair products, from the looks of things it's a 3HP variflo pump, a 400k BTU MasterTemp heater, and a 200sf cartridge filter-- serving a pool of 4800 gallons. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but seems that this is pretty powerful equipment for a small above ground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.