How much of this stuff?

Jun 28, 2017
Miami, FL
Hello! We are new pool owners. We have a vinyl summer waves 15' pool. 2640 gals - nothing fancy at all!

So we filled it up and tested- here are my levels
FC = 0
Ph = 8.4
TA = 80
TH = 100
CYA = 40

Here's what I think - I need to raise the TA with baking soda, I have that but how much do I add?

I need to lower my PH - so I have that muriatic acid - but how much do I add?

And I need to add what else? Please help...

Thank you super super in advance
Struggling small pool owner in FL

Okay, you definitely need to get chlorine in there. Have you ordered a proper test kit? The strips are very unreliable. I bought the Taylor kit, and wish I had went with the TF-100.

I ordered some other stuff from TFTestkits today and within an hour, I had a tracking number :)

I am surprised your fresh fill has CYA in it... We can assume it does until you get a test kit.

Your TA is fine for now. My goal is 80. It may drop when you get PH right, but that can wait.

If you just filled it and you have not added anything yet, then you won't have any CYA. Test strips are very inaccurate and it's hard to make adjustments based on inaccurate test results. I would at bare minimum pick up a better test kit. With a small seasonal pool you can get by with an inexpensive 2 way test kit, almost anything is better than strips. 16oz of bleach in a pool of that size should give you about 4ppm FC. I would not correct the TA, you can use muratic acid to lower PH, but I would not adjust based off of the strips.

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Thanks for all of your replies,
we just got the pool yesterday on a whim. Maybe we shouldn't have but hey.. I got what the store had available to be honest and it wasn't much. I started reading more on it today and my husband will stop by a pool store tomorrow and grab a decent kit.
We just moved here a few weeks ago and the water that comes out the hose is weird, it has little dirt like particles in it and it had a yellow tint...

we also got inpatient and added chlorine to it and the muriatic acid to it.. how long in between should I wait to test?
its not yellow anymore that's for sure.

I am not sure the pool store is gonna have the kit you need.

I spent 3 years and tons of $$$ dealing with this pool of mine.

I bought the kit and spinner, got my pool under control and now am adding between 9-12oz of bleach a day (less than $.15)

I don't have a fancy pool, (18'x52") but learning here and following their advice has truley given me a Trouble Free Pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TF-100 will have everything you need for testing the water. Then we use bleach, stabilizer, and some acid if needed to balance the water.

Most of the test require spinning or mixing the sample drop by drop looking for color change. The Speedstir makes this much easier. I got one in the beginning, and I couldn't imagine doing it any other way...

My GF thought what I was doing was a waste of Money, until now... She is super happy we have a crystal clear pool... It is super clean... I vacuum once a week, and once balanced I add my daily dose of bleach... Every once in a while some acid to lower PH...

Good Luck!

So after adding those 2 chemicals, our PH lowered a bit to 7.8 and I guess we added too much chlorine and now its at 10.. couldnt fiddle around with it anymore as it was getting late, those readings are from early this morning. It rained a bit so i'm hoping that lowers the FC and its sitting in 100% direct sunlight all day, if not i'll do a water change when I get home.

So Amazon didnt have the TF100.. they had another testing kit though. The Taylor Technologies one... I looked up our local pool supply and they have this: TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES K-2005-6 TEST KIT.. so i'll have the kit today and test after work...

I'm getting sad! The kids are crazy to get in and I feel like I just cant get it right for them, but we'll get there.. hopefully sooner than later lol.. weekend is just about here!

Thank you so much for all your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that Taylor kit ok? Does it have a spinner thing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.