Salt Level on SWG not accurate

Jul 11, 2011
West Monroe, La
Hey all I checked my chlorine level today and it was basically zero - my salt level is showing 2700 but my test strips are showing 3700. I have cleaned my cell. My check salt level is flashing all the time but my power and generating lights are green. I added shock because I don't want to lose the pool it is a Hayward Tcell 5. It is almost 5yrs old so I am thinking it is warm out my salt level shouldn't flash unless it drops below 2600ppm- I want to change to chlorine what is the best way? Just use floaters? I have a 27ft above ground pool about 16k gallons based on the calculator. All other levels are good.

If you are taking the SWG offline, then you will need to start adding liquid chlorine every day. A pool will lose 2-4ppm of FC each day to the sun and organics, so you have to replenish that reservoir. That is the beauty of the SWG, not having to add chlorine manually every day.

We do not recommend "shock" powders or the tablets due to the side-effects. Take a look at How to Chlorinate Your Pool

My SWG cell went bad at the end of last season, and I can't wait to get it replaced when funds allow :D

Are you saying the site does not recommend SWG? OR...bleach/liquid chlorine instead of shock? I see SWG on that link but I am confused by what you said.

No, I did not say that TFP does not recommend SWG, not sure where you saw that. "Shock" is a verb, not a noun, there is liquid shock, granular shock, etc. All "shock" is some form of chlorine: dichlor, trichlor, sodium hypochlorite or cal-hypo. Please start a new thread if you have more questions.

OP,
Yes, I always keep some bleach around to raise my FC in my pool when I need a little boost and I use bleach only to chlorinate my hot tub. I buy the store brand at Kroger. PoolMath will tell you how much to add to get your FC up to your goal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.