Intex SWG No Chlorine HELP please Newby here

We have an Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" with the pump that came with it (duel outlet ports) and also purchased the Intex SWG. We put about 4 1/2 Bags of salt when we opened it about 2 weeks ago and from that point on I get a zero reading for chlorine on our test strips. Here are some things I have done...

• All other readings are good
  • We did add the stabilizer to the pool
  • We run the necessary hours we are supposed to
  • The water the past few days has been a bit cloudy, we ran boost (copper levels are fine)
  • All the sensors have been cleaned and checked on the SWG
  • The SWG shows bubbles in the tube (which I was told is a sign it's working properly)
  • No errors of low salt, high salt etc...
  • New test strips purchased and have tried 3 different kinds to rule that out.
  • Cover is on during the day
  • Water tastes salty.
  • We even took a sample water to the pool store and everything is fine but no chlorine.

Any ideas, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Most probable: you have a low grade algae bloom that is consuming FC as fast as it can be generated. So at the moment, you're at a stalemate. The algae eats up the FC and the FC kills some algae. Something is going to change and then things will get slimy and cloudier and probably green. And then you won't have to wonder why you aren't showing any FC.

The solution is to get some FC in there, fast. And the best way to do that is with bleach.

The whole process is called Shock Level And Maintain. It's all written up in SLAM Process It's not a one-time megadose of chlorine like the pool store will tell you. It's a very high level of FC sustained for a period of time sufficient to kill all the algae.

I have the intex saltwater generator. It's good at "maintaining" a Free Chlorine level. However, the initial startup you need to add chlorine. We recommend ordinary plain household bleach. If you use the pool math at the top of the webpage you can calculate how much chlorine you need. I also use about a 18oz of chlorine after really hot temps or a heavy bather load that the intex SWG can not keep up with

I would definitely get yourself the proper TF 100 test kit. Pool stores and test strips are very inaccurate.

If the pool has shown 0ppm FC for two weeks it will definitely need a SLAM.

FYI- when starting a SWG pool you should establish your FC level with bleach first, the once your FC is holding you will switch on the SWG to maintain that FC.

I concur with the bleach suggestion, but there are 2 other huge red flags in your original post, "test strips" and "pool store".

We don't trust either of those, and the advice you'll get here will be extremely limited based solely upon those results. As Richie suggested, the best thing you can do to make your pool care easier and cheaper is to order one of the recommended test kits ASAP, either the TF100 or the K2006. The TF100 is the best bargain. You'll thank me later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.