Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I've been around here several years now, and now I'm baffled at my latest testing.

A little backstory: We had storm go through and I didn't get out and clean everything up right away. Temps have been record highs (110+). When I did clean up, there was a clump of debris on the sun shelf. When I moved it there was a decidedly green tint to the pebble tech underneath. I poured a couple cups of 10% bleach (that had been sitting in my garage for months stored at less than ideal temps) directly in the area, then added a full gallon, poured into the return stream.

I went ahead and vacuumed and cleaned before doing any testing. When I did test the OTO test was at or near the top level (5). The result was yellow, and comparable with the 5 color, not orange or brown with little chunks like I've seen before with very high FC levels.

Now comes the puzzle, FAS/DPD test time. 10 ml water, one rounded scoop of powder, then I start counting drops of reagent. I gave up at 100 drops. I don't see anyway my FC could be over 50, and if it were shouldn't the OTO have looked different?

I've done these test hundreds of times and this is a first for me. I even went and got different reagents from my son's test kit....same result. Waited a day, retested....same result.

Someone please tell me I'm not crazy, please.

Chief,

Clear this up for me - are you using R-0003 to titrate or R-0871 to titrate?? R-0003 is only used for the CC part of the test. You titrate using the R-0871.

I grabbed the wrong reagent. It will never change color using R-0003. With the right reagent it works...what a surprise!

I grabbed the wrong reagent. It will never change color using R-0003. With the right reagent it works...what a surprise!

I did that once too. Blew through half a 0.75 oz R-0003. I feel a lot better about myself now. See, ya did good ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chief it may have been a bit embarrassing for you, but it is a great teaching moment for our lurkers and new members. Now they can see that even experienced TFP-ers can make a mistake. And they can also see that your experience has taught you to investigate instead of assume those test results were correct and dose the pool according to those errors. Thank you for sharing your experience with the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.