Ok I tried to go the cheap route

dorgan

Apr 13, 2017
Rockledge, FL
So I tired to go the cheap route and bought only the basic test kit from my local pool store and have been using clorbrite spa shock/chlorine. It worked great for a couple weeks before it reach surface of the sun hot here in Florida. Then my pump went and pool turned green and had major algae bloom. It's a 1,700 gallon pool so I drained it and started over now the pool has eaten over a 1lb of chlorine in a week. It seem that with my pool getting a large amount of sun light here in Florida what I am adding is not able to keep up. That or what the Local Leslie's pool supply is telling me is wrong.

So what is the minim test kit I can go to target/Walmart and but right now. I will order the TFT kit later this week. I need to get this pool to the point where it is not burning up all it's chlorine every day as I believe I am starting to get some algae again! HELP!!!!!!

It looks nice though!

19e996313045002cffc7f54a34c5ba50.jpg

Well.... according to poolmath, 1 Lb of chlorbrite (dichlor) in 1700 gallons raises the CYA to 36. So you're almost there. Prior to reaching that number, any FC in that pool had a half life of maybe 2 hours? Certainly be gone in a few.

Another half pound of that stuff and then you'll have to switch to a new chlorine source. I'd suggest bleach... unless you've got an algae bloom going, it should only need about a cup a day.

For a pool that size you should check out the temporary / Seasonal Pool article in pool school. You have completed to the point of adding enough cya so now you just need to maintain adequate FC with bleach.

Ahh ok, ok so better to go with this, than household bleach, correct? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Essentials-Chlorinating-Liquid/48938023 Or it it even better to go with Shop Kem-Tek 2-Gallon Liquid Pool Chlorine at Lowes.com because its a little higher strength 10% vs 13V?

Walk over to the laundry aisle of that same Walmart and get Great Value Brand Bleach at 8.25% strength. Do not buy easy pour or scented variety, just the plain concentrated bleach. 121oz will be less than $3.00. Use Pool math to verify your dose, but it should only take 8-12 oz per day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK yeah i see what you mean. Its a small pool so the amount I would use is minimal, so ultimately it saves $1-$2 per jug. I live in Florida and hope to have a 6-7 month swimming season. So it'll save enough to get a starbucks :) Now I just need to find a test for CYA locally until I order the TF100 later this week.. Thanks everyone

If you download the new Pool Math app there's actually a calculator inside of it that will compare the prices between different bleach strengths and help you pick the best deal

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.