Leaving for a week...use a floater?

May 2, 2017
Nassau NY
I read a few threads on here that mention people throwing a floater in with a trichlor tab when the go away. I've got my chemicals balanced just right and the SWG maintaingin 4-5ppm FC. CYA is 60, water is clear and clean.
I asked my neighbor to just check and make sure the pump turns on every day so the SWG can do it's job. Should I add a floater just in case? Should I elevate the FC with some bleach before I leave? Have the neighbor dump in some bleach on Wednesday as a precaution? I don't want to ask him to check chemistry if I don't have to.

If you have a SWG, then there is no need to add a floater. One of the great advantages of the SWG is that it will keep making FC while you are gone.

If you are worried, you can certainly bump up the FC with bleach before you leave and maybe have the neighbor add some mid week too.

Your SWG will be fine, I wouldn't put a floater in. If you are concerned you can bump up the FC with liquid chlorine before you leave but that's really just more of something to put yourself at ease rather than something that is necessary.

I would bring the pool to shock level and let the SWG do its thing. If for some reason you have a storm and lose power someone will need to reset the timer on the SWG. Intex SWGs don't remember the settings once they lose power.

I would also bump your cya up to at least 70, per salt water recommendations. That will preserve your FC against sun burn. The newer Intex generators will hold their setting; the older ones didn't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.