Jun 23, 2017
Northford
New pool owner. Have sand filter, not sure how many cubic feet or pump horsepower. I opened the pool a few weeks ago and my levels were perfect. Since then my water is becoming increasingly cloudy despite adding chlorine daily. My most recent test results are

FC- 10.5
CC- 0.5
Ph- 8.0
TA- 180
Acid demand- 4 drops to reach 7.4
CYA- 35

Pool water is close despite back washing and running filter constantly but was clear initially for 3-4 days

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I have a few questions to start-off our discussions:
1 - What test kit are you using to test the water?
2 - The pH should not be over 7.8, so you'll want to lower it with muriatic acid
3 - The FC is a bit elevated. Why is that? Are you doing something at the moment (trying to do a TFP SLAM perhaps)?
4 - Have you put anything in the water other than regular bleach or liquid shock? If so, how are you chlorinating?

We'll start with those and go from there. Nice to have you join us.

Thanks for the response. I'm using the Taylor k2006. After initial shock( was done by pool company, I waited for FC to get to about 2ppm, then I threw s couple pucks in there. Cleaned the bottom and stirred up all sorts of debris. Next day FC was at 0ppm and CC was 1ppm. So I got 2 bags of shock, dumped those in with 2 gallons chlorinating liquid, the next day, still cloudy so I dumped 3 gallons liquid chlorine in as well as ph increaser bc my ph was less than 7. That was last night. Pool even more cloudy today and numbers are out of wack.

Okay, it sounds like it's time to step-back and stick with the basics:
1 - Your cloudy water requires a TFP "SLAM" (link below); it's important to follow the instructions on that page
2 - Adjust pH to about 7.2 and leave it alone
3 - Verify your CYA. It's critical the test is done properly as follows:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.
4 - Above you said the CYA was 35 - so if that's still a good number and you're sure the testing was good, then we round that up to 40 which would make your SLAM FC level a "16".

Make sure to remove as much debris as possible and continue to brush the pool each day while maintaining that FC of 16. Let the SLAM do it's thing and don't add anything else to the water except the regular bleach to keep the FC at 16. No more bags of shock as they increase CYA. Test often as needed at first to maintain it. Eventually the testing intervals should spread out. Hope that helps.

Being a noob myself and having successfully SLAM'd my pool this year... I would like to add... check your FC as reasonably often as possible. I tried my best to check every 4 hours during the day and make the adjustments as necessary.

You want to keep your FC at your target for as many hours as possible and the only way to do that is to check it frequently.

I spent the first 3-4 days checking and adjusting only every 12 hours. It never really hit me that I should check it more often, once I did, the process really picked up speed.

Thanks guys! I'll try and let you know the results. Regular household bleach is ok as opposed to the chlorinating liquid I get from the store?

Yes, just make sure it is not scented, splashless, etc. Also check the bottle for strength, most name brands are 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. Avoid dollar stores as theirs is usually so weak it's pretty much salty water.

Update. So for the past 2 days I have only added bleach about a gallon every 4-6 hours. I didn't add any acid because I don't want to add multiple chemicals at once. Is this smart or no? My FC level has been between 17-20. Now that I know how to accurately test CYA, my level is much higher than initially reported. My most recent numbers are

FC- 19
CC- 0
Ph >8
TA- 160
CYA- 55-60, I tested multiple times

Water still cloudy?

I did just but PH down. Should I add now?

- - - Updated - - -

I also bought stabilizer. Should I add?

- - - Updated - - -

*bought ph down

The pH test is inaccurate above 10 FC. That's why we say set it and forget it during a SLAM. Don't try adjusting it. It won't change things. Check out these pictures: Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?

Don't add any more stabilizer. Your CYA is already high. CYA= Cyanuric acid = stabilizer.

You should be targeting a higher FC if CYA is 60. 24 FC is shock level for 60 CYA.

This is frustrating. I've added probably 12 gallons of bleach in the last 48 hours, running filter constantly, and the water hasn't changed a bit. When is a reasonable time period to start seeing results with target FC, hours? Days? Weeks? I just want to know when I should wave the white flag and call the pool company to help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check out the image gallery linked in My success story. Wanted to share. Don't lose hope!

Or check out the thread linked to this picture

98c606f1518deee1fa25d6449ed1a5fe.jpg

I'm not sure my problem is chlorine level at this point. I've been dumping 2 gallons of bleach in every 4-6 hours to maintain an FC of >20 and have seen no change. Bear in mind the pool was never green, just cloudy blue with the bottom not visible. After 3 days of this I would expect to see a little clearing. Could this be a filter problem?

I'm not sure my problem is chlorine level at this point. I've been dumping 2 gallons of bleach in every 4-6 hours to maintain an FC of >20 and have seen no change. Bear in mind the pool was never green, just cloudy blue with the bottom not visible. After 3 days of this I would expect to see a little clearing. Could this be a filter problem?

It could be. You could try adding DE to your sand filter.It could also be lack of brushing. Algae does grow a pretty good protective skin that needs brushing off.

It will be a big help to us all if you fill out your signature and tell us what state you're in. I only figured out sand filter by hunting in your posts.

The SLAM seems to be working with everything you have suggested. The water is much clearer, still slightly cloudy but infinitely better than before. My FC level is stable at 22 with a gallon a day. CYA is 45. How long do I maintain the FC SLAM level? Then I just let it drift ito an appropriate level accordance with the CYA/FC tables for maintenance? I added some DE to the filter which seemed to work but I think it's more just the FC level that did it. I'll add to my signature but I'm in Connecticut by the way.

How long do I maintain the FC SLAM level?
Maintain until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria:
1 - Crystal clear water
2 - No more than 0.5 CC
3 - Pass an overnight (OCLT) Test

In the meantime, make sure to continue brushing the pool each day and inspect ANY areas where water could get trapped and hide algae (ladders, steps, behind lights, etc). It's good you're seeing progress. Chlorine is the best sanitizer, so it will work. Hang in there and keep pushing that SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.