Consumes 3ppm chlorine per day, is it normal?

Jun 6, 2016
San Jose
I observed that my pool lose 3ppm chlorine every day. My pool has 10K gallons water and thus I'll have to drop 1 gallon liquid Chlorine every 3 or 4 days.

It's 95F~99F outside everyday these days during day time and we use the pool three times per week.Does the CH consumption considered normal?

Sounds about right I am using 2.5 per day. Are you adding daily or every 3 days? It does make a difference if you add every 3 days you are likely getting a little beyond where you CYA can protect on day 1 so you get a quicker burn off in the early going. Daily adding is more efficient.

I observed that my pool lose 3ppm chlorine every day. My pool has 10K gallons water and thus I'll have to drop 1 gallon liquid Chlorine every 3 or 4 days.

It's 95F~99F outside everyday these days during day time and we use the pool three times per week.Does the CH consumption considered normal?

Does the FC consumption considered normal? Chlorine - Free Chlorine - FC. Calcium Hardness - CH.

2 - 4 ppm FC loss per day is typical. In your environment, you could try raising the CYA levels a bit provided you are sure there is no algae present. Generally recommend adding FC daily to limit UV burn off. Do you have a good test kit? Able to post results?

Unfortunately my CYA is high as ~120 (the test is very subjective, though). Water is precious here I'd rather keep high FC instead of changing water. I could be wrong...

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds about right I am using 2.5 per day. Are you adding daily or every 3 days? It does make a difference if you add every 3 days you are likely getting a little beyond where you CYA can protect on day 1 so you get a quicker burn off in the early going. Daily adding is more efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

Makes sense. I add every three days mainly because someone told me liquid chlorine in bottle may lose concentration every day and convert to salt, especially when it's hot and opened. So I'd rather use up one gallon bottle at once.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the FC consumption considered normal? Chlorine - Free Chlorine - FC. Calcium Hardness - CH.

2 - 4 ppm FC loss per day is typical. In your environment, you could try raising the CYA levels a bit provided you are sure there is no algae present. Generally recommend adding FC daily to limit UV burn off. Do you have a good test kit? Able to post results?

Thanks I'm using TF-100 test kits. The CYA is already very high as 120. There are some brownish or yellowish algae starts shown on wall after three days but can be easily brushed off.

I really wonder if I tested CYA correctly, as it's somewhat subjective and I think I can always see the black dot :)

Thanks I'm using TF-100 test kits. The CYA is already very high as 120. There are some brownish or yellowish algae starts shown on wall after three days but can be easily brushed off.

I really wonder if I tested CYA correctly, as it's somewhat subjective and I think I can always see the black dot :)
Then follow the dilution method in Step 8 Pool School - CYA

Fill the view tube to 100. Hold it down waist high and look . Do you see the dot? If yes, fill to 90. Then 80 and so on. When it disappears, double that reading. That's your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.